Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just rebuilt my t5z tans and replaced second gear. the car grinds going into 4th. sometimes when i ease into it it wont. after a few month of driving 2nd is now popping of of gear on downshifts.
4th gear was fine when i rebuilt it so i dont know the prolem. i dont have time to remove it and look at the moment but any ideas would help. thanks

·
Registered
758 Posts
If you have a shifter with stop bolts back them off and see if it pops out of 2nd. Being too tight could cause the popping out. As for grinding, could be lots of things. Do you have an adjustable cable and aluminum quadrant? If not get one as it will make that T5 last longer. Where does your clutch pedal start to move the car? Is it right off the floor or several inches up? If close to the floor you may not be getting the clutch fully disengaged on the shifts. Did you replace the plastic shift pads on the forks? Could be the synchro or how you assembled the T5. I've taken apart many of them that weren't assembled properly but still somewhat functioned. The keys, springs, and slider/hub assembly may have an issue as well. Likely you'll need to pull it and inspect.
I've seen the popping out of gear problem due to the slider getting hung up on the hub as well not allowing it to enage the gear completely. Does 2nd stay in gear when running through them? Or does it only happen on downshifts?

I do a ton of these a year literally. As mentioned the endplay needs to be set at 0 with no slop. Pilot bearing needs to be good. Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
everything is there i checked doubled checked, and trippled checked when putting it together. the specks are right on the money. second pops out only on down shifts. i know i wont be able to tell unless i pull it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts