Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my trans from Hutch and his vent is in the back of the trans.

Hutch you told me to build a little catch can and route it upward so that the can could gravity drain afterwards.

I have a g-body car and i just cannot see how i can make a catchcan to fit above the trans in this area. What have you guys done with venting and catch cans,

Also Hutch, could you tell me roughly how many ml will come out of the overflow during hard acceleration? I just want to know how big of a can i need to build.

Photos would be cool too.

Adrian

·
Super Moderator
19,350 Posts
The vent is relocated to the rear but the front location is also available if you would prefer to use that. The frnt location is a complete pain in the ass when there is a shield on the trans and difficult to deal with in the car.
I recommended that you use a firewall mounted can and run the vent hose from the trans rear location upwards through the trans tunnel to the bottom of the can (the can needs to be vented in the top). When your all done you have a system that will never require draining.

I can do a mockup and take pictures if you need them.

Hutch

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Hutch, i understand what you're saying, but a photo would be nice to see.

Also does fluid come out of the vent all the time during hard acceleration, or very rarely? I did not see a vent in the front of the transmission when i got it, only the little 1/8npt brass filter on the back. I am assuming you jsut want me to take that out, and install a tube going to the catch can, correct?

Adrian

·
Super Moderator
19,350 Posts
Hey Hutch, i understand what you're saying, but a photo would be nice to see.

Also does fluid come out of the vent all the time during hard acceleration, or very rarely? I did not see a vent in the front of the transmission when i got it, only the little 1/8npt brass filter on the back. I am assuming you jsut want me to take that out, and install a tube going to the catch can, correct?

Adrian
It won't puke often but when it decides to puke oil , it best be into a catch can. There is a plug in the front vent and a vent on the back. I would want you to remove the vent in the rear and install a fitting to connect a proper line to a vented catch can.

I will try to post a picture when I get time this week. If you need assistance immediately and still don't understand what im suggesting here please call me at the shop.

Hutch

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks Hutch, i am in no rush as i am leaving the country for 3 weeks again, but ia m sure you will hear from me afterwards.

\\\thanks again,

Adrian

·
Registered
897 Posts
On my c4 and now my TH400, I just have a catch can in the trunk of the car mounted on the roll cage to the vent, my first C4 would puke a qt after running a high 10 second pass due to a fucked up valve body, but its good insurance as it goes in the can instead on the track and your tires.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
the way mine was done was a piece a brake line installed into the trans it was tapped to screw into the trans then I bent it to go up to an over flow tank that was mounted on the fire wall bottom of the tank also was drilled and tapped to except the brake line then on the top of the tank installed a rearend diff breather and call it done you could make the tak or buy the tank mine was never seen so I used PVC tube and glued the end caps on as hutch said the fluid will flow back to the trans after its been sitting because it is mounted higher than the trans itself

·
Registered
682 Posts
we've used the "pushlock" style fittings and nylon hose. Mount the can on firewall.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know this is a very old post but im about to have to do the same thing. does anyone know if someone makes a setup like this for a rear vent ? or will this have to be a "put it together yourself" kinda deal.

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts