Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On assembly with 3 clutches in the intermediate it ck'd .100 clearance. I installed an extra steel and it's a tight .030. Is this enough clearance or will I have problems?

·
Super Moderator
19,570 Posts
Thats a bit tight but will work. I like them a little looser. Would be nice if we had some .100" steels for that location. The other option is you can jack up the piston by making a spacer to go under it and extend it out past the spring retainer. A low reverse clutch is either .090 or .100 depending on which one you use and fits in that spot as a spacer. Then if its too tight , you can machine the piston.

Hutch

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about removing friction material from one side of 2 friction plates and putting them back to back. Anyone tried this??

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've tried the extra steel, look at original post for clearances.
The L/R clutch behind the piston has had the friction material scraped off already.
What is the problem with 2 frictions back to back with the sides that face each other scraped?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I've tried the extra steel, look at original post for clearances.
The L/R clutch behind the piston has had the friction material scraped off already.
What is the problem with 2 frictions back to back with the sides that face each other scraped?
But remove the one under the piston, then add an extra steel.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The L/R friction behind the piston has had the friction material scraped off of both sides.
There is a wave/cushion plate at the top of the stack. Stack has 3 steel, 3 friction and the wave plate.
What if anything is bad about scraping 2 Int. frictions and placing them together to make 1 thick friction. This is mentioned in the Sessions book.

·
Super Moderator
19,570 Posts
I don't think you read my earlier post.If you had used the clutch for a shim as I suggested, you would have the proper clearance and be onto another project by now.

Hutch

·
Registered
602 Posts
I don't think you read my earlier post.If you had used the clutch for a shim as I suggested, you would have the proper clearance and be onto another project by now.

Hutch
yes, please. This has gotten way complicated for a simple deal.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Hutch
HUH??? I've repeated that I do have a clutch installed as a shim with the friction scraped off of both sides of it.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, easy enough to find another clutch. I've always scraped the clutch I put behind the int piston.
What would be the downside to the 2 int clutches with 1 side scraped off of each?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts