Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
12,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kerosene and Liquid Oxygen was about to send the most powerful vehicle ever built up into space, in a blaze of fucking glory. Carrying three great Americans.

Fuck man! Arguably mans greatest achievement.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Insane machines we build...so hard to imagine something the size of a building being shoved through the atmosphere at the speed of a rifle bullet.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
The ultimate E-Ticket ride. I remember the first step on the moon. I was off work and had driven the 45 miles to see my folks so it must have been a Friday or Saturday.

·
Registered
16,025 Posts
Cool

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
CBS did a special about this last night. I've never really watched anything on it (in depth) being it happened a bit before I was born. I was glued to it. Everything about it was what I'd like to think is America. Just like people coming together for ww2 and the way you felt after seeing the flag right after 9/11. The Packers game was the first game I believe after 9/11 and they ran out with the American flag. Just gave you a "damn right" feeling. Hard to explain I guess.

·
Registered
16,314 Posts
The "hold downs" were a series of mechanisms restraining the rocket on the pad. I always get a kick when I'm listening to "Moon Machines" when they say:

"When the motors are ready, they send a signal to the hold downs - let me go." :)

·
Registered
35,001 Posts
A rifle round that travels 3000ft per second is traveling at less than mach 3 or 2000mph.The escape velocity to leave Earth is Mach 33 or roughly 25000 mph.A little bit faster than a rifle round.:p

I think he's talking about when all 3 stages are still joined together. The real speed comes after the bottom 2 drop off.

That rocket produced 160 million horsepower. Think about that for a minute.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I think he's talking about when all 3 stages are still joined together. The real speed comes after the bottom 2 drop off.

That rocket produced 160 million horsepower. Think about that for a minute.
He probably did,my bad.I'll leave this here.

·
Yellowbullet Overlord
24,401 Posts
The "hold downs" were a series of mechanisms restraining the rocket on the pad. I always get a kick when I'm listening to "Moon Machines" when they say:

"When the motors are ready, they send a signal to the hold downs - let me go." :)
This is a great video that shows the hell that happens at the base of a launch.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts