Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what point is it a good idea to go with steel rocker arms? Maybe on the exhaust only? I'm going to be using Pac 1248 springs.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I love steel rocker arms............
Longer life, Less deflection, Usually less moment of inertia.......
Less weight at the valve.....................And just bad ass

I have been using them a lot lately.............

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
I try to use steel on the exhaust side for blower, turbo and NOS stuff, .. anything building very high cylinder pressures the ex has to open against.

On high lift and high rpm stuff it's a very good idea if you can
afford it. ( high lift and High rpm spells bigger budget )

For your typical bracket combo .850" or less cams and
1,000 or less open spring pressure, ...
I can't see a good reason to spend the extra money
and wait the extra time it takes to get them.

Curtis

·
Registered
9,883 Posts

On high lift and high rpm stuff it's a very good idea if you can
afford it. ( high lift and High rpm spells bigger budget )

For your typical bracket combo .850" or less cams and
1,000 or less open spring pressure, ...
I can't see a good reason to spend the extra money

and wait the extra time it takes to get them.

Curtis
Then you obviously aren't privileged enough to see some Spintron data that blows your theory right out of the water at even 650 Lbs of open pressure on stuff with Bigger offsets......

Aluminum MOVES period........ steel Not so much.........

Kinda why i won't ever use a Aluminum block again for a racing engine.............

STEEL Just makes more power, Less deflection.......

Op,

If your budget allows , Run the steel........ also look into Crower's
Stainless shaft systems........... They are Badass

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Then you obviously aren't privileged enough to see some Spintron data that blows your theory right out of the water at even 650 Lbs of open pressure on stuff with Bigger offsets......

Aluminum MOVES period........ steel Not so much.........

Kinda why i won't ever use a Aluminum block again for a racing engine.............

STEEL Just makes more power, Less deflection.......

Op,

If your budget allows , Run the steel........ also look into Crower's
Stainless shaft systems........... They are Badass
... 40+ years of doing this I've done more spintron then you imagine.

But cost and practicality for the budget bracket racer
are my primary concerns.
Steel is better, .. but in the big picture of the end users
application and budget is it completely necessary?

There's top qualifying 500" pro stocks with aluminum rockers, ..
so they aren't "junk"

Curtis

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
... 40+ years of doing this I've done more spintron then you imagine.

But cost and practicality for the budget bracket racer
are my primary concerns.
Steel is better, .. but in the big picture of the end users
application and budget is it completely necessary?

There's top qualifying 500" pro stocks with aluminum rockers, ..
so they aren't "junk
"

Curtis
Never said they are Junk.......... There is a reason they are choosing to run aluminum............

Resonance and harmonic frequencies come to mind........

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I like my T & D's over my Jesel pro series. I have yet to break a T & D rocker. Yes they are more but my my lower end engines are a lot more and I dropping a valve really, really sucks.'

My buddies are breaking their Harland Sharps a lot lately.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Never said they are Junk.......... There is a reason they are choosing to run aluminum............

Resonance and harmonic frequencies come to mind........
Actually from my understanding, .. they found NO difference
in power or valve train life in this particular combo.

c

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,609 Posts
This really doesn't have anything to do with this topic, maybe it does. While assembling the heads for my wifes SBC, I am using the good-old Moroso lever-type spring compressor, it screws onto the rocker stud. Well, after getting the locks in I always give the tool another partial pull just to make sure the locks are seated correctly. Each and every valve flexes when I do this! These are stainless 11/32" valves from Manley. I was very surprised by how much flex I can see at the end of the valve. These springs are only 260 on the seat and 625 at full lift. Makes me wonder what valves and pushrods look like during actual operation, heck, include the springs in there too!

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Mike.......LOL,

Google Spintron video's or go on you tube........

It'll blow your mind........ wild shit........ see if you find the one where the springs turn a dull red... from the heat...

Pretty wild stuff................

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Mike.......LOL,

Google Spintron video's or go on you tube........

It'll blow your mind........ wild shit........ see if you find the one where the springs turn a dull red... from the heat...

Pretty wild stuff................
That is some cool stuff to see, ...

ask George Bryce about killing intake springs at 1,000 every run,
I bet they where glowing bright red !!!

Curtis

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
It also depends on what engine is being built, and what it is built for... For my SBF Highports steel crower rockers were $200 cheaper than aluminum T&D rockers. It was a no brainer for me

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
What do you guys think of a Springless Valvetrain for Push-rod Engines? Such as the system in the video below. If more research and development were devoted toward this, I'm sure a lot of heartache and headache would be eliminated, not to mention the horsepower advantage.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
This really doesn't have anything to do with this topic, maybe it does. While assembling the heads for my wifes SBC, I am using the good-old Moroso lever-type spring compressor, it screws onto the rocker stud. Well, after getting the locks in I always give the tool another partial pull just to make sure the locks are seated correctly. Each and every valve flexes when I do this! These are stainless 11/32" valves from Manley. I was very surprised by how much flex I can see at the end of the valve. These springs are only 260 on the seat and 625 at full lift. Makes me wonder what valves and pushrods look like during actual operation, heck, include the springs in there too!
Its the tool doing it. I noticed that too and got a LSM screw type compressor.The valve doesnt seem to flex with it.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,609 Posts
I actually snapped 3/8" studs once using that tool when I was trying to remove the springs from those same heads after a LOT of valve float!

·
I like IceCream
11,026 Posts
Actually from my understanding, .. they found NO difference
in power or valve train life in this particular combo.

c
I'm not exactly sure which nhra pro stock teams valvetrain you have access too, but I'd be curious to find out if they tested each rocker on the same lobe, or if different lobes were designed for each system. If on the same lobe I would definitely believe the steel rocker didn't make any more power.

I've had R+D done on my own stuff and can guarantee you that the more rigid the system, the better you can control the valve. And the better you can control the valve, the more power you can make.

That's a fact...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I use Buxton Engineering's valve spring compressor tools. Holds the springs nicely and is adjustable too. I have several tools from Buxton and each tool has been a great asset.
I always recommend them for tools. Great to deal with and very nice to talk about other ideas.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
The Buxton spring compressor is definitely a nice piece!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts