Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the correct gauge tool to suit the cam lift , i assume when measuring i include the lash caps , at this stage the gauge tool is showing .090 off the shaft ?? will put up a pic ASAP thanks

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
You could call Sheldon at T&D and discuss your set up and double check you are doing it correctly as well as possibly exchanging your stands if needed. Be sure you allow for any optional rocker ratio. The measuring tool sent in kit is for standard ratio. 1.75 versus 1.70 ratio makes a difference. They have tools for different ratios too. The proper geometry is what you want to end up with regardless of what the set up tool indicates.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thankyou for the replys i spoke with the engine builder he had never heard of the gauge tool, with that he said i used the lash caps to get it close enough to suit sum pushrods i had lying around, seems to be a thing with shaft rockers down here in NZ 3other builders had no idea there was a setup tool , so i setup without the lashcaps and i need to shim up 14thou, with it as is the roller tip sits just off center towards the engine , there is good clearence aroud the retainer is there sumthing i could of over looked , tried emailing T&D no go there thanks

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
The set up is with a piece of dowel rod the same diameter of the rocker shaft. Lay it in place of the rocker. Then the tool is a specific shape to touch both the dowel and the valve stem at the same time when proper height. There is some math in the instruction sheet to decide what shim to use. You do have to get that from T&D if you want to use that method. Once you have the height, then pushrod length is simple. Specify what rocker ratio you have. The tool should come with every set of new rockers. Tough not being able to just call, I understand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
BBmark yes i have been following the instruction from T&D the lash caps were what caused the drama , the pads which the stand bolt down on are getting decked mainly to make sure everything straight/square , i spoke with a water jet company who can cut shims to suit i will post up afew pics once i have it all mocked to double check my handy work,still has me bafflled no new of the set up tool

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Those "lash caps" are now part of your valve stem height so...You should include them in the equation or not run them. Why the lash caps? Dont tell me its an LS with Ti valves?? The T&D gage is usually pretty precise but, you can use the old method of finding "rocker sweep" using a black marker or lipstick (dont tell the old lady you borrowed her stuff!) and see where your sweep is on the lash cap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SolidLT1 nah no LS old school dart buick heads , the lash caps are in the bin , without the lashcaps im at 24thou off the shaft plus i need to factor in the 10thou i need to lower the stand for the 670lift cam, the sweep now starts just off center on the valve tip , question why the lash caps engine builder had sum second hand pushrods which with the lashcaps got it close , everything was meant to be brand new not down this way, cutting corners seems to be the norm

·
Registered
621 Posts
Mine is BB Mopar. We milled the stock stands off. Set it up with the T&D tool dead on. Then I realized the pushrods I had were too long. Shimmed the stands .060" and never looked back. Been that way over 600 passes with no issue. Shimming increased the sweep across the valve by .011"
Doug

1 - 9 of 9 Posts