Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright guys im at a point where i need to make a decision. I have a 91 RS camaro im gonna put a LS motor in. its a 5.3L from a yukon that i got for free from a trade. Im going to rebuild it, cam it, and do a few other things. Im also going to put a magnusen blower on it. I know i can reuse my 700r4 with some conversion parts, but I dont like that idea cuz it slips like crazy with a 305. I want a 6 speed, but T-56's are so damn expensive, and most people say only handle 400 ft lbs? ive seen a few of the ZF 6 speeds from the old vettes with the lt1's. are they any good? I have a 5 speed ZF in my F350 behind a 700hp 557 and it hasnt broken yet, which is a brownie point for the. next option is a t-5, but i dont know how easy that would be to bolt to an LS block. Next comes the automatics, i would perfer a 6l60 or 6l80, but my wallet isnt that thick. so if i go with a 4L series, would they hold up to around 500hp? I know i can get the conversion parts from Spohn for the install, I just wanna make an informed decision. Anybody got anything to sell!! Im open to ideas. Thanks :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
A T-56 is going to be your best bet. I've done 2-3 3rd gen/LSX conversions and all used a T-56 out of an F-body. Worked out well, and T-56's are fairly cheap to rebuild and upgrade.

·
Medium Pimpin!
8,852 Posts
A zf is far from cheap to fix if the need arises, A t56 is standard on a viper and they put out more than 400lb ft of torque. I know a guy with a t56 in a 64 nova and it runs 9.90s with no problems.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the answers guys. Ya im leaning towards a t56 just so i dont have to deal with the wiring. Anybody know someone selling one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts