Yellow Bullet Forums banner

t-4 divided housing and wastegate?

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  turbo chicken 
#1 ·
I have a pair of GT4202 turbos with divided t-4 flange. I think I understand the purpose of the divided housing, in helping to reduce the chance of excessive back pressure to opposing cylinders. However. I don't see how you would install a wastegate in such a manner it wouldn't compromise the divided exhaust path. At least without using two waste gates, one for each side. With a twin turbo system, that would mean I would need four waste gates.

Maybe I am just thinking too hard and placing too much emphasis in the divided ports.

Just looking to see how others on this site deal with this.

Just for info, this is a 512 cid EFI motor.

Scott

#11 ·
#8 ·
Divided housings were designed primarily for four stroke diesel applications. The exhaust pulse frequency is bigger and farther apart and EGT is much lower. The divided housing helps to create an even or more consistent gas expansion across the turbine wheel and are more commonly found in applications with a 180 degree crank (Inline 4 or 6) making it easy practical to pulse.

In a large V8 (90 degree) gas application the exhaust gas pulse frequency is smaller and closer together with higher EGT. The divided housing will neither help or hurt your application. I would run open collectors with one gate each to the turbine inlet and try to mount the gates with as straight shot into the valve as possible. You will be good to go!

#9 ·
Thanks for the explanation Rick. I was wanting to get by with a 45 degree elbow off the collector, with a 60mm gate on the bend (inline with the collector) and the turbo flange at the end of the 45. The header tubes will likely end up about 18" long which should be enough to resist any reversion.

If the divided housing isn't helping, i may upgrade to the TiAL stainless housing to save a little weight.

Robert. We talked once before and I tried to find you a couple of times while I was in Indy, but got no response. The car is a street/strip Plymouth - looking for about 1500hp on EFI and E-85. Currently waiting for the chassis shop in Indy to finish the cage and 4-link before starting to mount the turbos.

#10 ·
A little over a year ago we have massive computer crash and we have new phone #, e-mail, web, the works.
I'll shoot you a pm with all the new contact info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.