Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody changed from cable to synthetic rope on their winch in their trailer? Did you have an aluminum or steal drum? If aluminum did you bend the drum? I have a SuperWinch S4500 and want to go the synthetic route but I have an aluminum drum and Superwinch you should use a steel drum. Whats your thoughts?
Thanks Rick

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I've got a 2500lb warn with aluminum drum and the synthetic rope. Way better, smoother operation and the rope is suppose to be stronger then cable.If your car bounces on the rope it won't break like cable. That's the reason i switched and no problem since.Two thumbs up to the syn rope

·
Registered
359 Posts
are you dragging 4500lbs of dead weight into the trailer? if it's your rolling car you should be fine. otherwise the only down side to rope is its not as durable so be careful to not let it snag on anything.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Much better than cable. No more frayed cable slicing the shit out of your hands. Also takes up less room on the spool. Could fit more length on there.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
This is some good info, Had a post earlier on about doing this to my superwintch 5000. Looks like a go!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I use synthetic rope at work to pull locomotives...so yes they're strong. Plus if you do somehow snap it it can be spliced back together. Unlike the cable if you snap it you just shortened your rope lol

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
wish that stuff wasnt so expensive. 15k rope costs almost as much as my winch
ebay is your friend. there are some crazy deals out there.

i got my 5/16x100 ft line with a hardened thimble and a very, very nice snap hook from custom splice for only 160 shipped. just the rope was only 110.
i went with the grey rope, which is a higher break strength than the blue.
the 3/8 would be right in a perfect world for your 15K winch, but its high as giraffe balls. the 5/16 is only rated for 13K, but i would trust it, unless you think you are going to pull 15K all the time.
http://www.customsplice.com/store/product.php?productid=22941&cat=8&page=1

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Is your winch pulley wide enough to use flat strap? Having used many kinds of winches for various things over the years and knowing how steel cable wads up, I went for a flat strap winch. It uses a 2" wide strap that can be bought almost anywhere. Just something to think about, because even nylon rope will wad up on the winch pulley sometimes, where flat strap just coils flat

·
Registered
111 Posts
Is your winch pulley wide enough to use flat strap? Having used many kinds of winches for various things over the years and knowing how steel cable wads up, I went for a flat strap winch. It uses a 2" wide strap that can be bought almost anywhere. Just something to think about, because even nylon rope will wad up on the winch pulley sometimes, where flat strap just coils flat
I was just going to ask if anyone used the flat strap style, I was thinking of switching over to it. Just not sure how much my 3000 lbs super winch drum would hold.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts