Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to switch to DR’s on a 99 Mustang, currently run MT 28x10.5 15 slick. C4 with 4:56 gears, 4.6 L DOHC /NA, avg 11.4-11.6 @ 114-115. Need 28” tall tire, maxed out rpms @ stripe. Current track rules allow full slicks (used to require DOT for street nights). Have 10” rims, would like to stay there. Is the MT Pro bracket radial best call? Thanks

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Can you put the same 9 inch slick on that thing as we run in Stock Eliminator? They are a Drag Radial Slick, not a DOT type Drag Radial. Pretty sure you would pick up well over a tenth.
Hoosier # 18212 29.5 Tall 9 inch
Hoosier # 18214 29.5 Tall 10.5 inch . This one even recommends a 10 inch rim.
Run these between 15 and 20 lbs. air pressure

·
Banned
18,113 Posts
Wanting to switch to DR’s on a 99 Mustang, currently run MT 28x10.5 15 slick. C4 with 4:56 gears, 4.6 L DOHC /NA, avg 11.4-11.6 @ 114-115. Need 28” tall tire, maxed out rpms @ stripe. Current track rules allow full slicks (used to require DOT for street nights). Have 10” rims, would like to stay there. Is the MT Pro bracket radial best call? Thanks
Going to need at least a 29" tall radial to be the same size of your 28" tall slick at the stripe..............

·
T/S 368E
34,100 Posts
Can you put the same 9 inch slick on that thing as we run in Stock Eliminator? They are a Drag Radial Slick, not a DOT type Drag Radial.
Pretty sure you would pick up well over a tenth.
Hoosier # 18212 29.5 Tall 9 inch
Hoosier # 18214 29.5 Tall 10.5 inch . This one even recommends a 10 inch rim.
Run these between 15 and 20 lbs. air pressure
WOW, they pick up that much??

How would that 18214 work on a car with much more power, 9.30's???
Running the 29.5W now and the wheel speed is very tame, so it probably doesn't need the W model??
As long as it's 100% consistent on marginal tracks.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Oh yes, Radial verses Bias is always close to a tenth. More if your car likes the extra gearing. I say that because we always run a bias to tame the rpms down, and then run the radial for class ...
They run that 9 inch tire on Hemi Barracudas, right on down to COPO Camaros and Cobra Jet Mustangs runnin a lot faster that you are, and probably heavier. And that's with a 9 inch. You should be able to hook a 10.5. But keep in mind, these are not as forgiving as a bias tire. And they don't last as long.. Nothing is ...

·
Registered
702 Posts
Mine last 350 or so runs. And i have gone down tracks where big tire guys spin on slicks. BUT....my car works pretty good if we stay on the suspension. They recover better than a pro 275 or hoosier 275, not sure how they stack up against the DBR hoosier. I like the 28x10.5 on my car.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
The PBR is a racing slick not a street tire. They have very good reviews. They are heavy and not as fast as a radial slick like the stock and super stock guys run. Great for a bracket car.
On my car back to back the radial tire was worth .013. I only run the radials now.

·
Registered
20,000 Posts
what is the difference between the Mickey Pro Bracket Radial and the Mickey ET Drag Pro Drag Radial ?

·
T/S 368E
34,100 Posts
When I put PBRs on my Mustang they were a solid tenth faster. I didn't have to change anything, might have tightened the shocks a little later.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
798 Posts
When I put PBRs on my Mustang they were a solid tenth faster. I didn't have to change anything, might have tightened the shocks a little later.
Do you guys run tubes and or screws with the PBRs? I currently run 5.90 1/8th mile on a sbf\th400\4.10 On a 10.5x28\12” rim with tubes and screws.

thx!

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
No tubes or beadlocks on mine. Been 1.35 and haven't seen any slippage since I put them on when it was doing 1.5xs. I'd use hairspray to stick them a little better when I get the next set.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
My car has been faster on the PBR than any other tire. Would think on a car like the OP's, they should work great even without the best prep. I managed some low 5's on a no prep surface with them.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The PBR is a racing slick not a street tire. They have very good reviews. They are heavy and not as fast as a radial slick like the stock and super stock guys run. Great for a bracket car.
On my car back to back the radial tire was worth .013. I only run the radials now.
this has been my experience .I run the 29.5x10.5PBR on a 10"rim . Bracket and T&T .
Hoosier 30(29.5)x10.5 on 8"rim - all i have spare . Only 1 T&T so far this year
Footbrake leaving @ 1500 .
Hoosier @ 18psi was 1.461-1.478 over 7 passes and 10.32 - 10.25
MT 3 weeks earlier @ track champs , 1.48-1.51 , 10.41-10.36
similar weather .
PBR will definately be better on lesser track prep than any other radial . I have used ET street SS and Hoosier 275s . Never run a rag slick
I am on 2nd set 29.5 PBR , used 28x10.5PBR for several years .
I have used the PBR on transbrake leaving @ 4500 no problem , best sixty was 1.42 . I tried Hoosier on brake but i missed pressure settings .
68 Satellite @3780lbs

Tex

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Going to need at least a 29" tall radial to be the same size of your 28" tall slick at the stripe..............
Well, I get what your saying, I know the slicks will grow, I just ordered the 28”x9 Pro Bracket Radial. Might have to raise my rev limiter. I’m not sure a 29.5 would fit in my stock wheel wells. You got me a little concerned.

·
Banned
18,113 Posts
Well, I get what your saying, I know the slicks will grow, I just ordered the 28”x9 Pro Bracket Radial. Might have to raise my rev limiter. I’m not sure a 29.5 would fit in my stock wheel wells. You got me a little concerned.
Just remember the faster you turn a slick the more it grows, radials do not change size. If a radial fits the wheel well sitting still, it will be fine going through the traps. A slick on the other hand........... I have watched how much they grow on a chassis dyno, pretty amazing. Not Top Fuel amazing, but still, if you are sitting in the car you will feel it lift. When I did my first radial car I thought it was broken, it sat still the entire pull! :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went back and watched some internal vids of runs with my 28” slicks. I was only crossing the stripe around 6500, so I got some rpms to spare. Factory limit was 7000

1 - 20 of 44 Posts