Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
T/S 368E
30,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I'm thinking about switching to Milwaukee stuff.
I need a light weight standard drill and screw gun that use same battery.
The drill must have enough torque to turn a cutting tool, but be light enough when you climb telephone poles.

I know many of you guys love the fuel models.
I'm using the 3/8" 12v Dewalt now, but all the stuff I use has been discontinued :(

What models do you use.
I'm thinking the 1/2" fuel will be much heavier than a 3/8" standard??? but will it have the balls I need??

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Ive heard great things about the Fuel but haven't used it myself. The standard Milwaukee or Dewalt Lithium don't stand a chance against the Makita lithium, that I do know.

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
I have a Milwaukee 3/8 you can drop from the top of a pole. It's a pos with a mind of it's own sometimes it goes the right way, sometimes it don't

·
T/S 368E
30,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I am not doing the 20v plus stuff.
Way too heavy when climbing.
Like I said, the standard 12v Dewalt works fine 90% of the time, and much easier when climbing all day, than my 18v pieces that I use in the bucket.

I am surprised they don't have 3/8" 12v fuel models?? or am I missing them??

·
Registered
3,661 Posts

I am not doing the 20v plus stuff.
Way too heavy when climbing.
Like I said, the standard 12v Dewalt works fine 90% of the time, and much easier when climbing all day, than my 18v pieces that I use in the bucket.

I am surprised they don't have 3/8" 12v fuel models?? or am I missing them??

I have used the 12v fuel 3/8" stubby. Very strong.

·
T/S 368E
30,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
11,995 Posts
I would absolutely stay with Dewalt, but they don't do 12v stuff now :(

the new 20v lithium is very light compared to the older 18v batteries, I would venture to say weight wise comparable to the old 12v, just a guess though.

and you can get the 2AH battery packs which are even lighter, I run mine as a carpenter and have not had run time issues. I have 4AH batteries but usually grab the 2 AH so they are lighter, getting old LOL

·
Registered
668 Posts
We switched to Mil. From DeWalt the Mil 1/2” drill is powerful but it stops instantly which causes the drill bit to loosen. Dropping a big when younarbten feet up a ladder gets tiring. If you frill very hard the Lithium battery shuts down for a few seconds. So fo heavy drilling we go back to the Pos DeWalt with nicads.

The cordless grinder works well. I like it so I don’t have to drag a cord around that keeps coming unplugged. Again if you load it up it will shut down for a couple seconds.

The Mil 20 volt don’t last as long as the old Nicad DeWalt batteries as far as use time.

I still like the Mil as it’s lighter. However we just got a new Dewalt drill that works pretty well. It does the sand thing about loosening the drill bit. If these has the old key chucks that would not happen.

We use both drills for installing screws and tapping holes. But the chuck loosening is aggravating to say the least. But my old HF cord drill does the same thing.

You need at least two chargers and 4 batteries for two tools. We get extra breaks when all the batteries are dead. LOL. Happens everyday..

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
fwiw, ridgid at hd is made by the same chinese corp as milwaukee.
ridgid offers LIFETIME warranty, if you jump thru the hoops and register.
including batteries.
had a 18v. vsr drill, the chuck went fubar. brought to an authorized repair joint - you're nearby, you have heard of berlands.
drill no longer made. parts unavailable. they arranged for me to receive a new 'brushless' 18v vsr drill, 2 li batteries, charger, carrying bag, n/c.

i have ridgid, dewalt, milwaukee, btw
milwaukee does have the largest selection, though

·
T/S 368E
30,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

One problem is I retired in '09, after I had just bought all new 12v & 18v lithium Dewalt stuff to test before buying multiple pieces.
So they have very little use, but I plan to work 4-5 more years before I retire again.
I need to have reliable tools & spares for each truck.
It's a pain in the ass transferring tools every time I need a different truck.

I keep hearing the fuel stuff is badass.

·
T/S 368E
30,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

HOLY FRICK, I didn't even think about using it for that.
I can't believe it's that strong.
I use a gas drill for doing construction & a bell wrench, but damn that's amazing.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have the 12v fuel 1/2 drill and 1/4 hex impact set (and many other Milwaukee tools) the set is $200 from home depot and they're both bad ass and very light. I use them daily.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts