Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What lug nut does a weld pro-star use? Flange or conical seat?
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
What lug nut does a weld pro-star use? Flange or conical seat?
Thanks.
Flat surface, and if you do the 5/8 studs you will need the appropriate washers and nuts.....5/8" is the diameter of the stud holes in the wheels, and the are a snug fit....usually

·
Registered
13,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flat surface, and if you do the 5/8 studs you will need the appropriate washers and nuts.....5/8" is the diameter of the stud holes in the wheels, and the are a snug fit....usually

Cool. Thank you!

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Im pretty sure you also will need a 3" long stud with the ProStar as the 2" will be too short.

·
Registered
71,791 Posts
A better option would be to have your wheels spot faced for the thick washer/spacer.
Check out Mark Williams site for the drive studs.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The stud locates the wheel the washer and nut sandwich it. Just make sure to use the rite washer so the nut dosnt bottom out on the shank before its tight.

·
Registered
71,791 Posts
The stud locates the wheel the washer and nut sandwich it. Just make sure to use the rite washer so the nut dosnt bottom out on the shank before its tight.
Not really.
Think about two very common styles of lug nuts: taper/cone and long shank lug nuts. In both cases, either the shank or the taper of the respective lug nuts is what actually locates the wheel, not the stud.

·
Registered
13,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the Moser kit. It came with 2 sets of nuts, one chrome locking and one black anodized. Has the 5/8x18 threads on both ends with the smooth shank in the center.

Axles already drilled and tapped for 5/8 & 1/2 studs. Currie set that up when they built the axles.

Didn't come with instructions, but I'm assuming the chrome locking nuts go on the inside of the flange.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I bought the Moser kit. It came with 2 sets of nuts, one chrome locking and one black anodized. Has the 5/8x18 threads on both ends with the smooth shank in the center.

Axles already drilled and tapped for 5/8 & 1/2 studs. Currie set that up when they built the axles.

Didn't come with instructions, but I'm assuming the chrome locking nuts go on the inside of the flange.
Yes..locknuts on inside of axle flange..black are the lugs..Moser kit should have included 2 differnt size washers to...

·
Registered
13,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes..locknuts on inside of axle flange..black are the lugs..Moser kit should have included 2 differnt size washers to...
It does. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Not really.
Think about two very common styles of lug nuts: taper/cone and long shank lug nuts. In both cases, either the shank or the taper of the respective lug nuts is what actually locates the wheel, not the stud.

With 5/8" studs, the stud locates the wheel. The holes in the wheel are clearanced just enough to fit over the shank of the stud. They use flat faced nuts with washers that space the nut out far enough to clear the shoulder of the stud that is supposed to stick out past the face of the wheel.

·
Registered
71,791 Posts
With 5/8" studs, the stud locates the wheel. The holes in the wheel are clearanced just enough to fit over the shank of the stud. They use flat faced nuts with washers that space the nut out far enough to clear the shoulder of the stud that is supposed to stick out past the face of the wheel.
I ran MW 5/8 drive studs on my car. Just personal preference I suppose. We spot faced my Monocoque wheels an 1/8" so the spacers actually located the wheel so that the shank of the studs were not contacting the bolt hole.

·
Registered
13,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ran MW 5/8 drive studs on my car. Just personal preference I suppose. We spot faced my Monocoque wheels an 1/8" so the spacers actually located the wheel so that the shank of the studs were not contacting the bolt hole.

That is a great idea!

·
Registered
13,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks Big Dave. I fit one in the wheel hole today. Nice fit for sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts