Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I know a gas Carb can't run alcohol. But can an ally Carb run gas? If it can that would make this cheaper.

I'm thinking about switching to methanol for track duties with the big Turbo and power turned up, but on the street have a smaller Turbo/different tune/less power and run either e85 or 93 octane. Will also have a seperate center section setup for street.

What all would I need to do to make this dream a reality?eventually I'd love to see an overdrive unit on the car too and Never run an intercooler.

Track:
Pt101
Methanol
Aluminum center
steeper gear

Street:
smaller Turbo (somewhere between 76 and 80/88. I'm not looking for crazy numbers on the street, just decent power while having close to zero spool time andstill ditching the cooler. MAYBE run water/Meth injection. But try not to.)
steel center section
higher gear, very low numerically.

How much work am I in for everytime I switch? I know it would be easier to have a whole seperate Carb, and ill do that when I can drop cash on another nice one. Is this possible with a single ally Carb? Or is my whole theory just pot?

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
You would really need 2 carbs.....or just go EFI and switch maps in 30 seconds, or even better with a switch if it supports it as most do. :p Draining the tank and purging the lines will be the biggest hassle

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You would really need 2 carbs.....or just go EFI and switch maps in 30 seconds, or even better with a switch if it supports it as most do. :p Draining the tank and purging the lines will be the biggest hassle
So an alcohol Carb can't run gas? I can't afford edition and still do everything else lol. I wouldn't have to drain or purge much seeing as my tank and all fuel lines for methanol will be up front! :D

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Well you could build a carb that is alcohol compatible but the difference in required fuel would mean that the carb would be set up with vastly different jetting, air bleed, and pvcr channel sizes. While it could probably be made to work, I doubt it would be worth the time spent to set the carb up each time.

·
Registered
893 Posts
X2 for EFI, i can go from alky to gas in one click. Stop and add up the #s, EFI is not much more expensive for all the versatillity it has over carbs. It can grow with your engine easily over the carb and endless tunning is avaiable. Best part is you don't get as dirty LOL.

Not saying carbs don't work, but they are just a friggin hassle to make changes on and it sounds like you will be changing stuff very offten.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
A carb is going to be tough to do. They would be so different that you would need two carbs.

Not being a pain, but this whole project sounds tough to me.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
This would be ideal, but the closest E85 is 60-70 miles away from Tampa
The closest E85 station to me an hour away. I just fill 2 55gal drums and keep em at my shop. With a 22 gall. tank I built, theres really nowhere that I can reasonably drive to and have to worry about fuel supply.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts