Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres the rundown. Built a new motor for my brothers 69 camaro. stock suspension, runs a 28x10 slick and 275 radial. Its a streetcar nothing crazy. Built a nice 383, made 624 hp on the dyno. Put it in the car with a fresh glide and 4.56 gears. Car went 11.15 at 126
I realized the converter we had in it was wayyy too tight for this motor, called ptc had a 6000 stall converter done. Put it in and first pass was 10.54 at 130 spinning through the 60 foot. Track was shit. Tried it on a good track and it went high 10.60s. I was thinking the first pass we made when it spun it kept the rpms up and thats why it went faster. Making me think it wanted more stall or more rear gear. Cant go with more gear as its already turning 7800 at the stripe.
Decided to try a 3 speed. Put a th350 in and it went 10.85 and only went 128 mph. Called PTC and they said the converter is probably not stalling high enough because of the lower first gear in the 3 speed. So the plan is to loosen the converter. Do you think this 3 speed will be much faster even after I loosen the converter? Just seems like this motor doesnt make a ton of torque and the 3 speed would be better than the glide. I was hoping to see an improvement with the 3 speed but Im not sure now.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Hmmm, Thought it might be a bit quicker going 3 speed....Didn't hurt the motor at all during the process ?

·
Get you some
3,419 Posts
isnt it true glide has less power loos over the 3 speed trans?? Its my thoughs that a car like that would always be faster with a glide

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is true but the motor is a 383 with 235cc heads and a pretty big cam. It has a very narrow power band. It does not like to be lugged down at all. The best 60' with the glide leaving at 5500 on the brake was a 1.56. It pulled the motor right down on the transbrake release. It already had a 6000 stall converter and the 4.56 were perfect at the stripe. I figured a 3 speed was the only way to get this thing to leave.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Thats kinda funny as I just went the other way, 3 speed(700r(4speed)) to an Glide, lost about a 4-5 teths, but the power band and RPM at the traps are down 1600-1800RPM less than the three speed. This is the cause of the MPH being less etc(et).
We spray so that and the 700r has been good to us(9.60'[email protected]) But we didn't want to push it anymore.
Keep us posted and I will try to update after Wednesday night T&T.

T-flow

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Ok heres the rundown. Built a new motor for my brothers 69 camaro. stock suspension, runs a 28x10 slick and 275 radial. Its a streetcar nothing crazy. Built a nice 383, made 624 hp on the dyno. Put it in the car with a fresh glide and 4.56 gears. Car went 11.15 at 126
I realized the converter we had in it was wayyy too tight for this motor, called ptc had a 6000 stall converter done. Put it in and first pass was 10.54 at 130 spinning through the 60 foot. Track was shit. Tried it on a good track and it went high 10.60s. I was thinking the first pass we made when it spun it kept the rpms up and thats why it went faster. Making me think it wanted more stall or more rear gear. Cant go with more gear as its already turning 7800 at the stripe.
Decided to try a 3 speed. Put a th350 in and it went 10.85 and only went 128 mph. Called PTC and they said the converter is probably not stalling high enough because of the lower first gear in the 3 speed. So the plan is to loosen the converter. Do you think this 3 speed will be much faster even after I loosen the converter? Just seems like this motor doesnt make a ton of torque and the 3 speed would be better than the glide. I was hoping to see an improvement with the 3 speed but Im not sure now.
The exact same thing happened in my 3400ib sedan with a 640HP 358chev,,,,the TH350 lost almost 2 tenths over the glide,,,and i leave off the foot brake

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I'll bet your et is in the converter and your gearing. Three speeds aren't as converter sensitive as glides are, and generally, depending on setup, like a tighter converter better due to lower gearing in first and a taller rear gear. I run a TH400 in a dragster, and a looser converter killed both my et and mph. I had the converter tightened, and got some et back and mph, then I killed it......Long story, but I think I have it figured out. Biggest thing here is making sure the combo compliments itself. Your shift points, stall, gearing, and tire size will all come into play. Also consider with the three speed that your setup might like earlier shifts than it did with the glide, just due to the fact you have more gear multiplication.

·
Registered
24,231 Posts
A powerglide works better with engines that have a lot of torque to be able to lean on the converter more. That's why you were able to get it to run faster with a glide. But when you loosened the converter, you may have gone past your torque curve. Putting a 3-speed in, and I'm guessing you left the same converter in, then you are way above the torque curve for the 3-speed. Try a little tighter converter, say about a 5k with the 3-speed, see how you like that. A buddy of mine put a glide behind a 383, and it picked up a tenth and a half. What was weird was it left the line like an old dog. He liked it like that, it reduced his chances of spinning on the line. But a good torque converter shop will ask you all the information about your current set-up, and can make recommendations on what stall you should run.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
the factor that has not been mentioned yet is the fact that the power glide has about half the weight of internal parts that do not have to be accellerated.....
but, heavy cars or even race pickup trucks can gain from the extra gear if the ratio helps keep the engine in its powerband.....

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I did the same and slowed about the same as well . The converter was used as it came out of the glide though . The plan was to get converter re stalled to suit once engine came off the dyno .
Long story short , it all turned to shit and wont know if converter will help for a while .....

Hope you get it figured out !

·
Registered
315 Posts
feeling similar don't cut it, you need a weather station to accurately determine the weather's effect on ETs. ET's can swing a tenth or more from one weekend to the next no mind weeks and months apart and track conditions vary depending on the weather and day of the week.

·
Registered
304 Posts
its in the converter we are having the same trouble with their converters. it will not run in the first 60 foot after that it come alive. something in the converter is holding it back. i'm no converter man but for some reason no mader where they put the converter it will not 60 ft.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
The spinning tire pass giving you the 130 MPH is a fake MPH you will read 2/3 MPH faster on most passes when you spin the tire on the line. If the Car is slow in the fist 60' and its not spinning with the lower gear your just not making the same power as before. Could be the DA or the Grains of water

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok here is some video.

This is with the glide, ptc 6000 stall converter, hoosier radial, leaving at 5400 rpm on the brake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLBNwGyR-Pk

This is this past weekend, th350 hoosier radial, leaving at 3400 on a footbrake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EtZy5s7m0s

And I know one is on the transbrake and one on the footbrake but the car went 10.60s at 129 on a footbrake also with the glide. Best this weekend was 10.86 at 127

1 - 20 of 24 Posts