Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, after lots of reading I took the advice of just about everyone on every web forum and swapped out my Dart intake for a Victor Jr. I was totally convinced that the swap would be a step in the right direction for my combo, but after the test-drive, I'm quite disappointed.

The combo:
67 Camaro 3650 w/me
468 10:1
990 heads that have been ported w/2.25 1.88's
2" headers
QFT 950 carb
Crower solid roller 260/270 aprox .660 lift. on a 107LSA
6 speed transmission
I shift the car at 7000.

This is not a dedicated drag car by any means, I simply want it to run good up top.

The car felt like it lost 100hp with the swap as it would blow the M/T drag radials off all through first and into second with the Dart. It now dead-hooks in first with the Victor Jr. It's not as snappy either, which makes me wonder if there is something I'm overlooking as the manifold really shouldn't have any impact on this I would think. The timing has been triple checked and is locked out at 38 degrees just like it was with the dart and the carb DOES get full throttle. The only thing that was changed was the manifold. Any thoughts/ideas? Did the victor really slow it down?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Manifold change

Do you have spacer under the carb, or have room for one?? I have an HVH 4 hole SuperSucker that I know, will give you back your throttle response crispness, and give you more bottom end that you may have lost. Something does sound a little odd with this change, and most I have heard is the other way around, when they went to the Dart intake, it slowed down until higher rpm's due to the larger plenum area and runner area as they need lots of air to flow and make big power up top. The carb sounds like it should work just fine, and this is a rect.ported head right? if I remember the 990's were rect. port.

The plenum depth may be causing the change also and causing it to loose some bottom end torque.....

How did the intake gaskets line up on the intake side ok?, any flaps hanging over or trimming that needed to be done? correct gaskets???? I also know that the Victor Jr. intakes like spacers above them, so maybe a 1 inch open or, the 4 hole, and I know the 4 hole will give you some more torque down below. But let's see what some of the other guys say, it may also need to have some work done to it to work like the Dart intake!!!! that would suck huh? change it all over to find out it needs work to match the Dart:confused: Next!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have spacer under the carb, or have room for one?? I have an HVH 4 hole SuperSucker that I know, will give you back your throttle response crispness, and give you more bottom end that you may have lost. Something does sound a little odd with this change, and most I have heard is the other way around, when they went to the Dart intake, it slowed down until higher rpm's due to the larger plenum area and runner area as they need lots of air to flow and make big power up top. The carb sounds like it should work just fine, and this is a rect.ported head right? if I remember the 990's were rect. port.

The plenum depth may be causing the change also and causing it to loose some bottom end torque.....

How did the intake gaskets line up on the intake side ok?, any flaps hanging over or trimming that needed to be done? correct gaskets???? I also know that the Victor Jr. intakes like spacers above them, so maybe a 1 inch open or, the 4 hole, and I know the 4 hole will give you some more torque down below. But let's see what some of the other guys say, it may also need to have some work done to it to work like the Dart intake!!!! that would suck huh? change it all over to find out it needs work to match the Dart:confused: Next!!!!!
I don't have room for a spacer as it fits under a stock cowl hood (67 Camaro). I was actually happy about the 1/2" more clearance I gained with the Victor so that I could use a N2O plate at some point, which I would not be able to do with the Dart.
As for the gasket, it did protrude down into the port slightly. I use the gaskets that have a V at top for the stock bolt hole on factory heads between the runners, and that V slightly protrudes into the top of the port. And yes, 990 heads are factory rectangle port open chamber heads.
Thanks for chiming in. Anyone else have any thoughts? It even felt slow in the mid-range, which I can't imagine the manifold suffocating the heads at only 4500rpms. Is there going to be a loss at 6500-7000 from switching to the Victor from the Dart, even if only slightly? I was under the impression at 7000, the Victor should still make more power than the Dart on my small little engine. Has anyone else done this swap and have any experiences with the results?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.