Yellow Bullet Forums banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
96mm/1.58 combo on my 414sbc works flawlessly. The 96/1.58 flows alot more than people think. A BW engineer sent me the data to prove it to me. I don't see a need to go to a bigger turbine wheel, maybe just the 1.58
;)
The S400 96 Borg turbine is a well matched unit.. Borg doesn't make a better suited turbine for the S400. The bigger turbines actual flow less and are HEAVY.

·
Registered
838 Posts
;)
The S400 96 Borg turbine is a well matched unit.. Borg doesn't make a better suited turbine for the S400. The bigger turbines actual flow less and are HEAVY.
What is the typical gains in efficiency from 1.32 to 1.58 on the 96?

·
Registered
23,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Zacs tune did the trick .
Makes 16psi at 4300rpm .

Thanks for your help .

Hopefully this thing will be a beast when I get it back out to the track .

Unfortunately summers here ......

·
Registered
16,292 Posts
Zacs tune did the trick .
Makes 16psi at 4300rpm .

Thanks for your help .

Hopefully this thing will be a beast when I get it back out to the track .

Unfortunately summers here ......
Nice job Zac!!

·
Registered
23,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Pulled more timing than I would have expected , but does work . Not using the boost builder , but using a more gradual 1D table .

Still have to tweek it though but its got quite a bit of control now .

Funny that I was in the grass testing it last night and it actually burnt the grass . And I have full exaust , 4 mufflers and all the way over the axle out behind the rear tire . :oops:

Id say theres some heat in it now ........lol

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Haha.

I'll just explain this so others can understand, and why a set timing retard like the Holley boost builder is a joke

Especially on something like Dave's with a very tight converter.

We need to keep the engine on the 2 step... To stay on the 2 step takes a certain amount of Tq output from the engine

Obviously when we retard timing we remove engine Tq output, so we need to make sure we always keep engine Tq output above the required amount to stay on the 2 step

This is a balancing act.... We can only remove timing as quickly as we have added boost back to keep engine Tq above the requirement

Again especially on a tight converter

This is why the Holley logic is silly..... You pull too much timing the engine falls off the 2 step.

If you only do enough to keep it on the chip, you are loosing a ton of potential

Moral of story, keep enough energy in the engine to stay on 2 step.... As more and more energy is available from the increased turbo output we send that right back to the turbo to perpetually build/feed

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I agree Zac. You can pull timing fairly quick but it has to be gradual. I wish Holley would do tableswitching for this, but an offset with advanced tables works its just more math.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Amazing how much knowledge is available here for free. Thanks guys for taking an old guy like me to school.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mr. Bowtie, I was looking at your cam cards and noticed you are only running .550ish lift. Any particular reason why? I can imagine there is substantial power in getting the intake valve .600+ on the table. Might be worth a shot. Love your truck, keep it rollin!

·
Registered
23,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Mr. Bowtie, I was looking at your cam cards and noticed you are only running .550ish lift. Any particular reason why? I can imagine there is substantial power in getting the intake valve .600+ on the table. Might be worth a shot. Love your truck, keep it rollin!
Thanks !

I guess its just about the balance between street and strip . Leaning heavily towards street .

I just do what " they " tell me . I tell them I want a hydraulic roller that can make 1400hp , run 8s , 6800rpm , daily drive with AC , and tow the boat to the lake .

And thats what they suggested . :sneaky:

AFR195 heads if it makes any difference .

·
Registered
23,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Boosted bowtie i cant wait to see how the new turbo works now that you got it building boost.

Cant wait either . Right now im wishing I could just drive it .

Got the engine out trying to locate a valve train noise , or what ever the hell it is .

Has the sound of a lifter , but cant seem to locate it . Something to do with the new cam , rockers , pushrods , or lifters . LOL WTF o_O

#3 plug is black with just a few miles on it also . Not sure its related , but will probably either send all the injectors off to Eric Derr , or just buy a single injector to switch it out .

I wouldnt think the cam was ground wrong , but anything is possible .

Valves move freely and seem to seal up with pressure on the cylinder .

ERRRRRRRRRRR !

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thanks !

I guess its just about the balance between street and strip . Leaning heavily towards street .

I just do what " they " tell me . I tell them I want a hydraulic roller that can make 1400hp , run 8s , 6800rpm , daily drive with AC , and tow the boat to the lake .

And thats what they suggested . :sneaky:

AFR195 heads if it makes any difference .
I did a little research and sorta see the .550 lift explanation. The AFR flow charts supposedly peak at around that lift, or at least they do not advertise beyond that lift and I can see it starting to taper going from .500 to .550 lift. AFR heads in general have good air speed, but I have seen their published flow #'s be way off from reality. You already own them so may as well run them, but a better head would let you make more power w/ zero additional stress on the boost side. Might give Chad Spier a ring, I know he does good work on those heads and can get a lot more out of them. Personally, if it were mine, I would go with a custom ported Brodix RR200 or go big and get some of the new Brodix Head Hunter 23"s(does require a dedicated intake manifold for their port). All Pro's are also excellent, but $$$. I think a better head on your combo would, at worst, let you go just as fast w/ less boost. Just some thought's. Sorry to hear it's making noise, I would do a leak down on cyl 3, if you haven't already blown it apart. Need to find out why plug turned black-it's either oil or fuel. If injectors are the same as before, then probably not that.

·
Registered
23,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Yes , everything is taken apart already . Cam is on its way to Comp , injectors are on the way to Eric Derr , heads are at the shop getting looked over .

The different heads were a thought at one time , but being a turbo application , that would change the hot side . Rising the exhaust port just a little throws off the headers and hot side by quite a bit .

·
Registered
16,437 Posts
Good luck Dave with finding your problem. I just got thru changing my Garrett 3582GTX turbos over to some 6466SP second gerneration Precision turbos. They spool similar to the Garretts and will be taking the car to the track tonight to start testing. I had to redo my hot side since this use a V-band instead of the old 4 bolt flange. Nice to have V-bands now though.

·
Registered
23,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Good luck Dave with finding your problem. I just got thru changing my Garrett 3582GTX turbos over to some 6466SP second gerneration Precision turbos. They spool similar to the Garretts and will be taking the car to the track tonight to start testing. I had to redo my hot side since this use a V-band instead of the old 4 bolt flange. Nice to have V-bands now though.

Thanks Randy , hope everything goes good at the track . Im not going tonight , Ive got to go to work early tomorrow

·
Registered
23,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Nice .

I guess there's quite a difference in housing.

I guess a lot of different things can play a role .

My engine has pretty low compression and small heads and cam .

61 - 80 of 91 Posts