Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
soooo, i am finishing up a cage install in a fox for an older customer, he asked to put swing out door bars in it for him, it is a 8.90 cert, was gonna do solids with kidney bar and an x, but, he wants swing outs, is there any problem with swing-outs on a 8.90 cert? cant find my nhra book, only my 25.5 book thanx in advance

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Doh! Thanx, I will prolly be using a ca chassisworks swing out kit, It looks like a very nice/strong kit.
Doesn't mean it's legal, to the letter of the law (NHRA). Most/all of the backing 'Cup' style's I've seen/used are not & need to be modified accordingly.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Doesn't mean it's legal, to the letter of the law (NHRA). Most/all of the backing 'Cup' style's I've seen/used are not & need to be modified accordingly.
I was thinking about using the same type of kit from chassisworks. Reading the rule book, to me it looks like it meets the requirement's or am I missing something? Can you elaborate on your comment!
Thanks Mark

·
7.86 @ 8800DA 3365lb 275s
4,502 Posts
you talking about the competition engineering type? have used several and are legal without modification

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the chassisworks kits are legal to 8.50, they are waaayy beef compared to the half tube style, solid cnc steel clevis with a 3/8" tab, just ordered two sets and confirmed with c.a. that they are good to go, i use them for crossmember work also..

·
Registered
198 Posts
there are a couple of ways to accomplish what you are doing. i have used both the chris alston and the applied racing swing outs. both certify without any problems.....rule book states it must be a double shear configuration....the rest is up to your imagination....eddie

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
talk the guy out of putting a swing-out primary door bar in his car. I've built cars for many years and have never put one in ( and wont). I know there will be a lot of disagreement with me out there but I will never agree that a bar with a hinge on one end and a pin on the other end is as safe or helps the structure of the car as one that is welded in

·
7.86 @ 8800DA 3365lb 275s
4,502 Posts
talk the guy out of putting a swing-out primary door bar in his car. I've built cars for many years and have never put one in ( and wont). I know there will be a lot of disagreement with me out there but I will never agree that a bar with a hinge on one end and a pin on the other end is as safe or helps the structure of the car as one that is welded in
don't think anyone would argue that a swingout is as strong as a solid bar.

i like the ART and Alston seems the alston piece is a fair amount more than the ART and they are almost identical. but some guy's don't want to spend that kind of money on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts