Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone welded tabs so they can run a front sway bar with there Trz a arms? I am looking at possibly doing this. This is on a 3600# g body. Any experiences or should I opt for different arms?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am not familiar with the TRZ arms, but I welded a plate in the middle of my Smith Racecraft arms on the 1st Gen Fbody. Drilled a hole in the plate for the sway bar end links and works like a champ. I then simply disconnect one of the end links when going to the track.

Had a mopar A body back in the day that did not come with front sway bar. Simply welded the tabs onto the factory control arms and again. Just like OEM...

As long as you use heavy enough stock and do a decent job of welding, no reason it should not work.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
I really don't understand why anyone would weld on a TRZ or smith racecraft arm, they are drag race control arms that are not designed to support the load a sway bar will put on them (this is why TRZ and smith don't put tabs on them for a sway bar). I run TRZ with a rear anti roll and it's not bad on the street, but I think adding a sway bar mount would be a mistake, if you want a sway bar I would think these are not the arms for you..... just my opinion though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Judt trying to get the best of all worlds on a street/strip build- but is turning into more strip and less street....

Regarding the smith arms, welding a plate across the rwo arms would only strengthen the assembly not weaken it. If the arm could not support a skinny sway bar on a relatively light car, I don't think I want them supporting me comeing down from a wheelie and then running down the track at 130mph.... :)

The position of the sway bar links on a 1st gen come right in the middle of the A arm, requiring the plate to be welded completely across the span of the arm, not just a tab welded on one of the arms- which I agree would not be ideal.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I get what could be done, which the way you did it is the strongest, I have just read 2 things on here over the years that have stuck with me. These were about 6 years ago for what it's worth. The first thread was a guy with an s-10 that was doing a routine inspection before going to the track and found his lower pocket peeling the material away from the tube part of the arm on a TRZ arm. He was glad he caught it and wasn't upset as he had done a lot of street driving on them and they are going to have their issues in this environment (keep in mind I didn't say a weld broke, it was actually peeling away at the thin wall tube). The second was a question asked directly of TRZ for running their arms on the street, the answer was sure but for extended use it could be an issue. They equated it to when you hit a pot hole it will bend your skinny drag wheel, lightweight spindle, etc before it bends our arm. Keep in mind I have had nothing but top notch quality and service from TRZ for many years with a heavy car, I only bring it up to say keep in mind it's still a "drag race" product at the end of the day.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree with your general premise- I am certainly more likely to cause damage to my drag race arms by running them on the street vs damage due to a sway bar. I drive less than 500 street miles per year, but of course it only takes 1 pothole!!

Here is a snapshot of what I did. Probably not endorsed by Smith Racecraft, but gets the job done and keeps me from tipping over in a corner :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
  • FWIW yrs back TRZ added sway bar tabs to my GM Abody control arms when I ordered them for street strip use but later when I added the rear antiroll bar was not a good combo so I removed the front sway bar, handles fine on street

1 - 7 of 7 Posts