Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I was helping a friend of mine with his car durning a 8.50 Index race. The car has a SBC on spray with a ladder bar and drag radials. The car 60' s are in the mid 1.30's. The problem is we noticed that the rear driver's side tire is moving on the rim just slightly and the passenger side tire is not moving at all. After about three or four passes the tire moved about 1/2" - 1". I personally don't see this being a major problem since the tire isn't lossing air, but what I do see is a oppurtunity to make the car 60 even better then it already is doing so.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
With the fact that the driver's side tire is moving and the passenger side isn't tells me he has unequal tire loading. I then asked him does he have both rear shocks set the same and he said yes. My thinking is this is the 1st place to start. I feel as though he should have the passenger side rear shock a little tighter on the compression so that the weight plants the tire. It also might could use a little rebound for a little better initial hook but I would start with the compression.

My question is am I on the right track or should we be looking at adjusting something else to get both tires to hook evenly?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Yes, you can get there with a static preload, but you'll probably end up having to adjust the ladders asymmetrically. The asymmetric adjustment has an inherent advantage in that, if done properly, tire loadings are equal for any value of driveshaft torque. A static preload, on the other hand, provides equal tire loading for a single value of driveshaft torque.

·
Vendor
6,472 Posts
Thanks Nasty. Now I just have to take a look at them to remember if they are double adjustable and if I lengthen the top or the bottom bar. Where is my Dave Morgan book??

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark you know I will do what I can for you. I think with some minor adjustments we can get that beast to 60' in the mid 20's. When that happens those other guys in true street are going to be looking at the tail lights of that pretty blue beast as they get smaller and smaller, not that the majority of themaren't already.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Thanks Nasty. Now I just have to take a look at them to remember if they are double adjustable and if I lengthen the top or the bottom bar. Where is my Dave Morgan book??
MR. If you wish more pressure on the right rear contact patch, you shorten the top adjuster on the right ladder. Beware a little goes a long way most of the time. Take it one flat at a time. Billy's Dyno could really help you on this, but if for some reason you can't do this, a tire pyrometer will also work. Even temps mean even loading.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts