Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know people have used them before, but what are the thoughts about using a mid-plate that isnt tied to the frame rails, but rather connected via a bar or other means above the bell-housing. This gives alot more room for large headers, etc.. Ive heard some people run a bar across the firewall and tie it into that. I sketched this up tonight for a SBF. (3) 3/8" bolts to connect up top, 1/4" thick plate or maybe 3/16"? Seems it would be fine with a front plate, and the lateral limiter tied to the side of the block to the frame rail.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Looks like it would hold up weight fine, but would do little or nothing in resisting torsional twist and stiffening the chassis at the firewall area.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wouldnt the fact that its bolted to a bar that runs from side to side be the twist resistance? When you say torsional twist, are you talking about "torque twist"?

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Wouldnt the fact that its bolted to a bar that runs from side to side be the twist resistance? When you say torsional twist, are you talking about "torque twist"?

Yes, rotation twist of the chassis. Since it's not tied to the chassis/frame rails, it won't help with any stiffening. It could possibly swing side to side and pivot on the tube mount above, kinda like a clock pendulum swinging back and forth. It needs to attach to both frame rails to completely do the job it was intended to do.

Also, the bar it hangs from would flex and twist with the mid plate. When you work with tubing every day, you see how easy tubes are to bend and twist when they are not supported properly.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I could also see it swinging forward and backward with only a single mount point. Even using engine limiters, you'll get harmonics in the mount point.

May be similar to clamping a piece of steel in a vise then moving it back and forth. Even with a small amount of movement, eventually, it will break.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This would be used in conjunction with a front plate and a lateral limiter.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
This is similar to what burkhart does for their midplates, and it works just fine on every car I've seen them in. Rogue86's car was the one they used for the prototype and I've seen it in person, looks slick!

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Final design with starter

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is similar to what burkhart does for their midplates, and it works just fine on every car I've seen them in. Rogue86's car was the one they used for the prototype and I've seen it in person, looks slick!
Does their design tie into the side rails also, or just on top on a cross bar? I cant really tell from the pics on the site.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts