Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some 25 years ago I had a major reconstructive operation on my right knee. They kept me knocked out with morphine for 2-3 days and in the hospital for 6 days. They sent me home with prescriptions for percodan, darvocet and darvon respectively. Basically one weeks supply of each so I wouldn't get hooked. Point is, when my shit hurt I had fast and significant relief.

Yesterday my girlfriend had her torn rotator cuff and shredded tendon repaired in her right shoulder. It was a 3 hour procedure that was done by a well known and respected Orthopedic Surgeon here in N Tx. I took her in at 11:00 am and had her back home and in bed by 6:00 pm. She had a nerve block in her shoulder so life was good till 1:00 am.

I had given her one Tramadol around 9:00 pm in order to try and stay ahead of the pain. She woke me up crying at 1 in the morning. Mind you, this is one tough chick but there was nothing I could do to get her comfortably ahead of the pain. I started giving her meds as per Dr's orders. By 3:30 she was miserable, it was brutal to watch.

I woke the Doctor up around that time and he said to go ahead and give her some hydrocodone on top of the tramadol and also said if I had an extra strentgh tylenol to give that to her as well. WTF? I had Aleve on hand and he said sure, give it to her!

I called this morning to try to get her some fundamental relief. I was given a prescription for yet another pill (Celebrex) and a fresh load of Hydrocodone. So now as I type this she has Hydrocodone, Celebrex, Tramadol (Ultram), Aleve and an over the counter sleeping pill in her system. I have a piece of paper that I am very diligently logging her narcotics intake and have built a schedule so we don't wind up in an ER with an OD situation.

What in the hell keeps a Doctor from prescribing a serious pain med like percodan, percoset, codeine, morphein or something along those lines? How in the hell can this coctail of drugs be better than one kick ass pain pill that knocks you the fuck out for an afternoon or all night?

What happened to the days of keeping someone in the hospital overnight so they can get the professional help they need after a surgery? I ain't no fucking PA or Nurse!!!!

g

·
Registered
792 Posts
Couple things. Pain tells you when you are moving or doing something wrong. That said, shoulder surgery is very painful. I would have wrote some oxy or Nucynta or something similar. If your girl had a history of vicodin, suboxone or xanax abuse they may be more cautious.

·
GOD
1,859 Posts
tramadol is usually given for nerve pain not for what she is going through...thats kinda odd....

some people have a much lower tolerance for pain than others but also some pain is much different than other pain....i think she needs to go in to sit with the doctor and explain her pain...its not good like you said to take a few of everything....it she is not able to do anything physical now is the time to take the stronger pills because she is not driving and stuff....doctors try to start off with simple stuff so patients dont get hooked and or start selling the shit. i respect any doctor with that approach but deffinately try to get in there and have a chat....usually they can write a script for a week and then see you for a followup appt.

good luck to you and her

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
More pills = more money.

Also, doctors are scared to death of getting a bad rap for giving too many pain meds. My Dad just had major surgery, and when he got out the doctor asked if he wanted Oxycontin...."Why wouldn't I?" was his response. ;)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Had the same thing done 6 weeks ago. Not only did I take TWO hydrocodone's around 9, but took the liberty of self-medicating with a few beers. By 2:00 am same thing - I have never hurt that bad in my life. BUT, within 48 hours I was taking nothing! Asked my surgeon why, and he said basically that it is just that painful, and the only way to get around it would be to knock you out, and that's just too dangerous. You have to wonder though, what would it have been like WITHOUT the drugs? I do not want to find out.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ultram/Tramadol is what we give to old people, or people who come in with a bullshit complaint hoping to get Lortabs.

Hydrocodone is Lortab, which is what they apparently gave her. It works pretty decent for most folks, although Percocet is a little better. They're both Narcotic.

Darvon/Darvocet is off the market. It only worked on little old ladies anyway.

Morphine, ie, MS Contin, and Oxycontin are more hardcore, with Oxycontin being the most hardcore. It's basically legal Heroin.

Dilaudid IV is awesome, works for everybody, but Dilaudid pills aren't that great.

Can't believe they told you to take Tylenol on top of the Lortab. Lortab has Tylenol in it. Maybe his friend the internist needed a liver failure pt.

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Couple things. Pain tells you when you are moving or doing something wrong. That said, shoulder surgery is very painful. I would have wrote some oxy or Nucynta or something similar. If your girl had a history of vicodin, suboxone or xanax abuse they may be more cautious.
Rotator cuff surgery is top 3 in most painful surgeries. They always require more pain meds in PACU after surgery. I wonder if the said doctor has been under the eye for giving out too many narcotics in the past or if it is a regional thing. No doctor in any of the hospitals I have or presently work at would send someone home after rotator cuff surgery with a non-narcotic for pain. After two weeks maybe but absolutely NEVER day one through seven. Even if the person is on or abusing meds they would give more than Tramadol---but, after day 5 or 7 it may be a hard sell or if they call day 2 needing a refill after taking five days worth of medication.
Anyway after day 3 it starts getting better. Personally had it done 4yrs ago and was given dilaudid for pain for 7 days and quit after 2.

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
I would like to add that NO ONE will get hooked on pain medication if they only take it when they are in pain. Addiction happens when you start taking it when you no longer need it. Sometimes people get addicted to functioning with less pain and take meds because they are afraid the pain will come back or they use their modest pain as a reason to take a dose for severe pain. I have been in Anesthesia for 12yrs and never talked to a patient that got hooked of pain meds after taking them for 2 weeks --ever. Long term back, cancer, neurogenic pain pts. can become addicted but I dont consider them an addict in that they take them to get high but rather to function at a acceptable limit.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks gang... lot's of good advice. I appreciate the comments, "Crash" does too. I showed her this thread a little while ago while she was up eating a bite.

Honestly, I think the worst is behind her now. She's getting the rest she needs. She's only been able to sleep for longer than an hour since late this evening. I can understand a Doctor's reluctance to give a patient hard core drugs, but if that's the case why not keep the patient in a controlled environment for the first 24 hours? After all, isn't the whole idea of surgery to make one better? It's a wicked thing to see a loved one go through what I saw last night. This is the same girl who wouldn't see a Doctor for dang near 3 weeks after initially injuring herself in a fall. I'm telling you she's tough... and this isn't her 1st surgery.

I have learned more about drugs, drug interactions, complications, etc. than I've ever cared to know.

g

·
Registered
7,882 Posts
i had reconstructive surgery on my shoulder last October...i was on Percocet and lortab for two months straight.....to this day my shulder still hurts like hell and i may be looking at another surgery soon..

the pain meds did help alot....i didnt get hooked on them at all but i sure could use them now....

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sounds like they really cut back over the years: In 1995 I had my recurrent dislocation damage cleaned up and a piece of bone cut off/screwed down somewhere else to locate the joint for good. For the first month I wore a morphine pump in my sling. That thing gave me a hit every couple of minutes and worked very well. After that month I had codeine horsepills to go with the physical therapy. It must have been SOP at the time because they never asked me how I was with pain before hooking me up to the pump or giving me those pills. Both times they warned me to call them if I ever felt like I needed the stuff down the road, addiction being the concern. That never came to pass, but I always felt that they performed due diligence by telling me about it.

I think it's as stated before - Docs are afraid of giving too much of the heavier stuff due to addiction/OD fears. I say talk with the Doc. Best wishes for your lady.

·
Registered
239 Posts
if i showed you guys my CII log, you would laugh at how much percocet we dispense, seems like everyone gets that shit when they leave the ER

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
In all honesty pain med are for the hospital ..... sometimes you just got to cowboy up .... i had kidney stones and didnt take any ... i wish i had but i didnt and i am still here .. you would be surprized what you can get threw...i have had 2 knee replacements and neck & back surgery also

·
Registered
725 Posts
Fuck that shit I would be pissed!!! I had an infection/abcsess drained and they have me a week and a half worth or norco's and they said if i needed more dont feel afraid to ask... I cant wait to see me when I have to go in for surgery lol

·
Registered
876 Posts
don't know much about the ins and outs of meds, but sounds like she went through hell and back. My dog is on Tramadol, seems to help him but makes him sleepy

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
Damn, I must have a cool Dr. He gave me almost a months worth of percocet for after my kidney stone surgery 2 weeks ago. Plus the weeks worth to get me through the week before the surgery because they couldn't get me in right away.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Phuck me!!!! When I had my amputation the Dr. had my prescription filled before my surgery since I was being released the next morning. Well my wife at the time was hooked on pills she was getting from our neighbor behind my back, and I had no idea I was working out of town at the time. She was given a FULL bottle of iirc hydrocodone and "lost it" when she went to get the car from the parking lot when I got discharged. The doctor was pissed and wrote me another prescription but it was much weaker and was basically extra strength Tylenol. That was absolutley excruciating and I hate that fucking bitch. Ill never forgive her for that week of hell. I Filled divorce papers when I found the empty bottle in her purse about two weeks later. I mean how can you watch someone in agony like that and be popping their pills just to get high??

Sorry for the long post It just pisses me off

1 - 20 of 57 Posts