Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just finished up our 5th gen Camaro set-up and we are trying to get the car dialed in. The set-up is as follows:

Moser solid axle conversion with torque arm
Afco Big Gun shocks in rear with 175lb 10" spring
Santuff front strut setup with 14" 175lb spring
Car weighs 3850lbs with driver
Turbo setup 1600ish hp
Car is 53.4% on front
A/S is roughly 98% I/C height is roughly 10.5"

We are spinning on the hit. I have the TA 2nd hole from bottom (out of 4). LCAs are 2 degree down to rearend. Tires are 28x10.5S with tubes and beadlocks At 17psi
Rear shock compression 12 (of 22) from full stiff
Rebound on 15 (of 40) from full stiff on AFCO big gun shocks with 175lb springs.
Track prep was poor to marginal
Leaving on 7-8 lbs of boost all in (18lbs) on controller by 1.5 sec

tightened up rebound 5 clicks
(sorry for the sideways video)

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
He is showing a front weight of 2055 lbs.
When I commissioned menscer to build me a set of front shocks, he recommended a 450lb spring at a front weight of 2200 lbs. He actually originally recommended a 350lb spring for mine and then when I was paying the bill, he changed his mind to 450.

He is using a 175lb spring vs. a recommended 450lb spring on a net change of only 150lbs of front end weight.

·
"Shocks don't matter"
21,585 Posts
He is showing a front weight of 2055 lbs.
When I commissioned menscer to build me a set of front shocks, he recommended a 450lb spring at a front weight of 2200 lbs. He actually originally recommended a 350lb spring for mine and then when I was paying the bill, he changed his mind to 450.

He is using a 175lb spring vs. a recommended 450lb spring on a net change of only 150lbs of front end weight.
I'm in agreement with you and thought maybe it was a type-o from the OP. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where are you guys fining these recommended spring rate. I spoke with Santuff as well as afco regarding my spring rates being that we have Santuff front struts and afco big gun rear shocks. both stated 175lb on the front was plenty and even suggested possibly dropping to a 150lb. I have 5-1/2" of preload in my 14" spring at ride height.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
A strut spring rate is not the same as what's used on an a-arm car (or your truck Blown06) due to the leverage the a-arm has on the spring.

If anything, I think the rear spring is too heavy for a coil-over....maybe. How much is it compressed at ride height? Lots of stored energy can be good.

Aside from that, good luck with the new Camaro!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts