Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
هدية الل
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are the supra engines really that great? i really wanna do a twin turbo setup on one of these cars,i was wondering if i should really think about even buying this car?:butthead:

·
Tony McKellar
4,812 Posts
The 2JZ's, yes

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
they are a killer engine-

from what i gather they are a good bolt on engine- a couple of my freinds just have bolt on's and they just hammer-

i would think they would be the best bang for buck import engine around-

why twin turbo's?

most the ones i see have a single gt-42 or 47 on them-

thought that was all that was needed-

Thanks

Nick--

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Great engine. Just needs rods and pistons to make it spectacular (1000rwhp+).

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I dunno, it's a good import engine, but nothing really that revolutionary to me.

A bunch of guys used to running single cam, cast-component, 1.6L FWD motors were exposed to a RWD platform boasting a twin-cammed, power-adder, forged internal motor with twice the displacement they previously had to work with. Sounds like somebody made them a musclecar. If it was a Chevy Supra, guaranteed it would never have gotten the fame or aftermarket support it did.

Hell, if the new GTO was a Honda GTO and not a Pontiac GTO, I'm sure we'd here about how revolutionary and Earth-shaking the motor was and it would have endless JDM aftermarket support.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
there is nothing magical about a 2jz. it is just very well engineered for boost. toyota started with a diesel block with 6 bolts around each cylinder. that lets this engine take huge amounts of boost without lifting the head. and we all know that huge boost makes huge power regardless of engine size.

many supra guys run huge single turbos to make the big power numbers. the problem is that these huge turbos don't spool up until waaay up in the rpm range giving the car massive power in a very narrow operating range. couple this sluggish, high strung powerband with the manual trans that most supra guys run and you can see why many run 12's or slower at 140+ mph. they rule the dynos and in highway roll ons. but are far from unbeatable.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Hmm here is a 1200rwhp supra with a 6spd to boost...... My math isn't the best but I swear that is a lower # then a 12. :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2a1dXiCbOw
I knew somebody was going to take it waaaay to seriously.

Lighten up a bit. It's a joke about how most Supras run in the 12s or at least used to regardless of actual power produced. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I knew somebody was going to take it waaaay to seriously.

Lighten up a bit. It's a joke about how most Supras run in the 12s or at least used to regardless of actual power produced. :rolleyes:
I know......I hear the 12 second comment quite a bit...hehe

·
Registered
326 Posts
I looked at running a 2JZ and also considered a RB26DETT skyline motor in my datsun but decided a boosted LSX would be the way to go after seeing what these guys are spending to make high horsepower motors. I still think a RB motor would be badass though.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I looked at running a 2JZ and also considered a RB26DETT skyline motor in my datsun but decided a boosted LSX would be the way to go after seeing what these guys are spending to make high horsepower motors. I still think a RB motor would be badass though.
S30?

I'm playing with a stock L28 (F54/P90) right now, but plan to try a 3.5L V6, if I don't get the power I want I'll go with an LSx. :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
S30?

I'm playing with a stock L28 (F54/P90) right now, but plan to try a 3.5L V6, if I don't get the power I want I'll go with an LSx. :)
Yep, 240Z. Here are some pics of my junk. Before was with the N/A LS1 and now EFI and 80mm S400. Im really happy with the way the car turned out. I may build some oddball motor for it later on but right now Im plenty happy with it. Oh and another thing to consider on the 2JZ swap was that the motor was heavier than a LSX. Between that, the total length of it and price of upgraded parts the LSX just seemed like a smarter choice for me.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Lason, I actually found and looked through your album last night. Found a thread or two on your LSx install on HybridZ.

I recall seing your car a while ago, I like it. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts