Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Elite Member
13,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Came across a low mile 17 GT350. Has P1X done by Walsh with 1700 miles roughly. It makes 700's RW on 6 psi. That 5.2 going to fall apart ? What kind of beating can that thing take ? Anything to look out for ?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Those motors only last a couple of track days stock....

·
Son of Mr. David-get it ?
15,683 Posts
Always leery when someone does mods then puts it up for sale.
Same here.
You don't know if the engine is a few more pings away from total destruction

·
Son of Mr. David-get it ?
15,683 Posts
Of course it all depends on the tune and fuel used.

A conservative timing map on the tune and good quality gas may not have harmed it any.

But very few people want to sacrifice 10-15 hp with more timing retard. They want to max it out to the limit and then hammer on the car.

Anyway you look at it, it's one giant gamble...

·
Registered
16,843 Posts
Came across a low mile 17 GT350. Has P1X done by Walsh with 1700 miles roughly. It makes 700's RW on 6 psi. That 5.2 going to fall apart ? What kind of beating can that thing take ? Anything to look out for ?
Notch, blow by is a issue due to the tight ring package and short pistons.

Only way I'd recommend this car is if somebody did a CPC swap.
Including opening up the ring gaps.
Longer pistons with a taller ring package.

As is, it will be a blast for a short period of time.
Then oil consumption and blue haze will be your life.

·
Low Life
2,254 Posts
I wouldn't trust a Ford motor. My father has an 18 F-150 with 7100 miles and it has used 5 quarts of oil so far. Ford is going to put a new long block in it if the new pvc valve doesn't cure the oil problem.

·
SHERIFF
6,826 Posts
Notch, blow by is a issue due to the tight ring package and short pistons.

Only way I'd recommend this car is if somebody did a CPC swap.
Including opening up the ring gaps.
Longer pistons with a taller ring package.

As is, it will be a blast for a short period of time.
Then oil consumption and blue haze will be your life.
OK Erik,tell everyone about how you designed the engine for Ford :p

·
Registered
9,823 Posts
When it blows up and it will then it will be the perfect opportunity to do the LS swap you always wanted to do! :p

·
Registered
18,202 Posts
Whenever FORD sells a HOT ROD be it FORD GT, RAPTOR, GT500, LIGHTNING, COBRA, GT350 etc it is a very complete highly refined package with everything designed to play hell be they cooling, brakes, chassis, driveline, steering, wheels/tires, gauges, tune etc..Personally I believe the buyer of said Hot Rod factory FORDs is getting a bargain due to getting a vehicle where everything is built to play hell.

The stock compression on a GT350 is 12:1. Then you have some "tuner" add a blower and boost it to 6 psi.
Let's not even heed if FORD put a Turbo or Blower on top of Voodoo motor they'd start with a fraction of that 12:1 (that 12:1 figure is selected by FORD as optimum for N/A) because boost is more efficiently added to a lower static C:R. then by adding it to a high C:R.
What could go possibly go wrong with a N-Rig?

We could only guess, but 6psi isn't much IMO. I'm good at spending other peoples money so I say you should go buy it and then report back to confirm who guessed the reliability correctly ;)

·
Registered
18,202 Posts
I'd say this one's clueless on the Specs of a GT350's Voodoo motor and the norms of boosting it:

Does the pulley and belt look new. I know I would want more boost. So did they pulley it down to say been low boost?
For shitz & giggles I'll say IF someone's running a different (more boost) pulley ratio than what gives that mentioned 6 psi boost then they were/are running Alky.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Try to find pictures of the piston design and see if the top ring is as far up as the 392's are - they do this to meet emissions but the cars literally are ticking time bombs even with only 6 or 7 psi. Another good thing to see is what they changed on that engine for boost in the gt500

1 - 20 of 23 Posts