Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at maybe getting into Nhra's Super Street in the future. Any racers have any advice or feedback about the class ?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Not a difficult class to run. It’s a throttle stop class. Most that run super street can run 9 second times then stop it down to run 10.90. Cut a bulb and run the number is the game. There is a min wt. 2850 maybe. You will have to check the rule book on that.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
They don't run that class at all National events. And only 5 races in any NHRA division. Lot of travel for very little return. I chased it back in the day when it first became a class. Fun for a couple years. And basically no spectators even before this pandemic.

·
T/S 368E
28,884 Posts

If you goal is to race, pick a track, join the track championship program and go race!!!
I bracket raced a long time and jumped to S/G and got my ass handed to me every time!!!

If you start winning locally, than go for it, but as said, it's a lot of time, energy & money for very little return other than saying I raced at a division race!!!
Because you can't even get in a nationals the 1st year!!!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

If you goal is to race, pick a track, join the track championship program and go race!!!
I bracket raced a long time and jumped to S/G and got my ass handed to me every time!!!

If you start winning locally, than go for it, but as said, it's a lot of time, energy & money for very little return other than saying I raced at a division race!!!
Because you can't even get in a nationals the 1st year!!!

Didnt know you ran S\G

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Min weight is 2800 and yes it helps to have a faster car in some situations. My car will run 8.80's all out in Denver and I stop it down to 11.50 at Bandimere and 10.90 out of town. I haven't won a fucking thing since I made the car fast... so take it for what it's worth. There's a lot of 10 second cars running street that do well. I enjoy running the class just wish i could do it without all the bullshit that accompanies NHRA.

·
Registered
19,240 Posts
Thinking of doing same, div1 here and tons of heavy hitters here, possibly losing Atco im looking for options

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Always wanted to footbrake and run it with no stop. Too many stipulations and not enough local races though.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,891 Posts
Thinking of doing same, div1 here and tons of heavy hitters here, possibly losing Atco im looking for options
I have some friends that run it, no Throttle Stop, no Delay Box, can hit the tree shallow staged since Deep Staging is an automatic red light. They have both done well with it, and they have mid 10 second cars. Love to see them go deep into the rounds against the purpose-built 8 second cars that go 10.90 @ 150+.....

·
Registered
881 Posts
I started in S/St, its 2800# min. My car at the time was 137mph which would be considered slow these days. I had some success at the divisional level. Once you get your stop to work the way you want it, its a matter of hitting the tree and be able to top end race. Fun class, there are some very good racers in it and it can be done on a budget if you don't get sucked into "having the big mph"

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
I was at one race where a Super Street pairing was what looked like a Stock Eliminator car versus a ProMod. One car ran high tens all out at 118mph the other ran 10.90's only being on the throttle for four seconds and at 170mph. The slow guy won.
I would imagine the disadvantage of not being able to chase your opponent is balanced by being able scrub off ET ten feet from the finish line when it's needed.

·
T/S 368E
28,884 Posts

Didn't they change that a few years ago???
I thought they outlawed pro cars??
Now all S/ST must be an actual car, no more starting with a pile of tubes.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Those Tube Cars load just as easy as they unload. It is a fun class. i guess that's why I have ran it for so long. Before I started I dialed 10.90 bracket racing for awhile just to get the feel of it. My advise would to do as I did and try to get a handle on ratios etc. Then you have to get ready to race in adverse weather conditions and learn how to compete.

·
T/S 368E
28,884 Posts

HMMMMM, I wonder what the hell I'm thinking of??
I thought for sure I saw they stopped allowing pro cars in S/ST??
Maybe that was just a rumor??
Or maybe when they wanted to add another super class at 7.90, they were going to make S/ST a true budget/learners class??

Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Nuclear Waste

·
T/S 368E
28,884 Posts

That was part of it. They didn't want guys running it with another class.
The guy I bought my trailer from used to run 2 classes, maybe that's who was telling me??

1 - 20 of 87 Posts