Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy that wants me to sump a brand new gas tank for him my problem is he is telling me the tank is galvanized what is the correct way to weld this sump on I will be tig welding it but how do I go about cleaning the galvi the metal is very thin to start so grinding it is really not much of an option

·
"Darkness"
4,942 Posts
I have found using Silicon Bronze welding rod makes it easier when welding thin sheet metal.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did you plate the whole tank there in that pic and weld the talk with er 70 I see the silocone rode being used everywhere else except on the large plate that is welded to the tank it self

·
"Darkness"
4,942 Posts
did you plate the whole tank there in that pic and weld the talk with er 70 I see the silocone rode being used everywhere else except on the large plate that is welded to the tank it self
I welded the plate in first with ER70. It wasn't fun and the heat warped the tank some. Then I learned about the silicon bronze rod and used it for the sump. Wish I would have used it in the beginning. It doesn't need much heat. You don't really need to puddle the steel first. Let the rod flow into the material and push it around.

·
7.86 @ 8800DA 3365lb 275s
4,502 Posts
i do them with bronze as well much easier IMO. but you need to get the galvanizing off before hand. a grinding wheel would do it so would a mild acid i use body prep from a body shop on bolts and what not, not sure if it would work on a tank though? maybe brush it on?

·
Registered
207 Posts
After attempting to use er70 and not having much luck on the cheapo chinese reproduction tank I bought (it's about the thinnest metal I've seen and I wound up with a few cracks), I used the Silicon Bronze with a lot better luck. It's definetely a lot easier to weld think stuff with. I just used a Roloc disc to get the galvanization off my tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts