Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I never really paid too much attention to this setup because it was like this when I bought the car. Now that I'm going to have to change the gas tank, I started looking at tanks and reading on pump placement and how you shouldn't have your pump above the sump outlet much less above the tank itself like my junk. Funny thing, I never really had any trouble with it working with the caveat that I've only driven the car 400 or so miles in the 7 years I've owned it + maybe 40 passes total.
My sumped tank just started leaking and the fuel pump is 12" above the sump outlet.
I'd like to know if anyone actually has ran a setup like mine on a 10 second car without any trouble. The difference in price for a really nice baffled sumped stock location tank verses a fuel cell mounted in the trunk with a inside cell fuel pump is about double. I don't really think I can even get a fuel cell without a pump in it mounted in the truck area higher than where my fuel pump is mounted so that's why I was looking at a EFI style fuel cell.
So bring on the heat. I would like to update my junk but work is very slow and its looking like I may be out the door so I have to very careful with my funds.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's another option...

The Rhodes fuel cell in the vid is less than $300, or you can purchase a similar tank from Jeg's for less than $200 (JEGS 15386: 10-Gallon Fuel Cell [Black Aluminum] | JEGS)
Yes I looked into that option. But I don't think it would work out for me. Reason is when its down in the spare tire well like that the outlet would still be below my fuel pump.In the picture you can actually see where the spare tire well was patched over from a cell having been in there before( Above the 90* bend with the bolt protruding through it). But maybe I could sheet metal over the spare tire well and get the cell up high enough to be above the fuel pump. I know very few fuel cells have 10AN or better fittings in the sump which that one does. I'll get the measuring stick out again and see what room I'd have if I did that

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Can you move the pump to around on the frame rail instead of bolted to the trunk floor?
I was out looking at that option just now. The A1000 with a pre and post filter is like 24" long. I might look at that more closely. Even with a sumped tank mounted in the spare tire well the sump would still be 6" below the pump or the pump would be 6" above the sump however you want to look at it.
I'll probably just bite the proverbial bullet and buy either a fuel cell with a pump in it or an OEM style tank with a fuel pump in it. I just didn't want to spend a grand plus on it right now. Any cell or tank with an A1000 or better pump is expensive.You know how it is,I finally thought I was good to go so I bought an enclosed trailer early this spring so most of my mad money goes to the trailer payment. I don't want to risk hurting my motor trying to save $600 or $700 dollars. It'll just stay home the rest of the year. There is always next year I guess.
If anyone can get me better pricing than Jegs or Summit on an Aeromotive fuel cell like the stealth series like these Aeromotive A1000 Stealth Fuel Cells Pm me .Thanks

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Seems it’s was working the way you had it, my thoughts are as long as the tank fuel level is above the fuel pump the pump will be primed and will always siphon fuel from the cell even when the fuel level is below the pump height.
Steve

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought you could see it in the picture but anyway the pump is located higher than the fuel tank by several inches. It’s at least 4 inches above the fuel tank. The fuel pump is bolted to the rear of the trunk. The gas tank sits under the trunk.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I honestly think if you move the pump around to the frame you could have thousands of trouble free miles. An electric pump will pull/suck fuel up hill a few inches above the tank. It's when you want to mount it 15' away from the tank and above the outlet that they wont do it. I think you should be ok. So get ur ass out there and have some fun brother! Lol

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
If you bust the feed line to the pump loose does fuel empty out?
It’s gonna have plenty of flow leaving the line at the track.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. I decided to lay under the car and try to plot this all out . With the fuel cell in the second post in the spare tire well, the exit of the sump will be below the pump where its at now But since the gas tank is out of the way I can use all the open area to position the pump and filters diagonal from the sump to the near the arch of the wheel well. All I have to do is fab a bracket and magically the pump will be below the sump exit and not dragging on the ground. Actually it will be tucked up pretty good I think. plus even the sump will be up higher than the bumper lower edge. All for maybe $250. SCORE!!! Thanks for helping me see the obvious. It'll take me forever but I'll post a pic when I get done.

·
Registered
68,412 Posts
I thought you could see it in the picture but anyway the pump is located higher than the fuel tank by several inches. It’s at least 4 inches above the fuel tank. The fuel pump is bolted to the rear of the trunk. The gas tank sits under the trunk.
The pump is 4" above THE TOP OF THE FUEL TANK?
Or ... 4" above the height of the tank outlet?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
4" above the tank. The tank is flat against the trunk floor. The pump is mounted about 1/2 down from the trunk latch to the bottom of the spare tire well. I know it's hard to believe. Until I started looking at it recently I didn't even realize how messed up it really was. It's funny how some things work when they probably shouldn't.
In my defense it was like this when I bought the car. Sadly it doesn't surprise me absolutely every single thing on it has been fubarred up entirely. I relied on someone else to help me pick out the car. Next time I'll do it myself.
Sad but true story we actually left the car and were 1/2 home when the guy called us back up and decided to sell it for about 25% less than he originally wanted. We should have just keep on driving. I'd have enough money now to buy a Pro Mod

·
Registered
249 Posts
That A1000 pump does not like to suck. There are pumps available that you can mount higher than the tank and not have issues.

I run 2 pumps in the exact spot you have yours mounted. A Bosch 044 for driving duty and a Weldon that comes on under boost. 10,000 street miles with E85 and never had a issue. Car runs mid 9s.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
The A1000 with a pre and post filter is like 24" long.
Keep in mind that your don't have to mount all of it inline together, they can be separated.

MagnaFuel makes some pre-filters that attach to the sump fitting, inside the fuel cell. If you can use it, it would definitely free up some real estate.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
My car is a 90 Foxbody Coupe. I have a firebreak already in my car so a sumped tank in the spare tire well won't be a bad thing for me. I'm actually looking forward to getting this done. Every time I have replaced something I have tried to upgrade. Even though I won't be moving into the late model world with a in tank fuel pump system just getting the parts on correctly should help stop some future problems.

·
Registered
541 Posts
you could use a Weldon pump , they say they can be mounted above no problem . But they don't like ethanol I believe

Tex

1 - 20 of 33 Posts