Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it might be next to impossible but here goes..I have a 2013 Mustang GT that’s making around 800whp with a PD blower, has a built 6r80 with a 2800-3k stall, Strange single adjustable front struts set on the softest setting with BMR GT500 drag springs, BMR k-member, Viking warrior rear shocks set on 6 for compression and 3 for rebound with BMR GT drag springs, BMR rear anti roll bar, BMR adjustable UCA, BMR double adjustable LCA’s (mounted to the 2nd hole up from the bottom of the reloc brackets), LCA relocation brackets. 275/60r15 MT ET Street radial pro rears at 16psi. Previous owner got this combo all set up for the drag strip to run consistent 9.5’s at 142 cutting 1.3 60 foots off the foot brake. I’m wanting it to hook up better on the street. I upped the tire pressure to 19psi, dropped the LCA’s to the bottom hole on the relocation brackets, changed the Rear Vikings to 2 for compression and 6 for rebound. Strange struts are still on the softest setting (I know I need to make these stiffer). I’m sure that because its not warmer than 60-70 degree outside temps and it’s not consistently warm out the pavement is cold isn’t helping at all. This car just breaks the tires loose and spins for the most part.. even on the hwy. is there anything else I can do or Just leave everything the way I have it now and not mess with anything else until temps and pavement get warmer? I wouldn’t think that I have to heat up my tires to hook up for a random vette at a stop light. I’ve heard that these tires don’t like to perform well at anything below 19psi?? Seems like I’m kind of over thinking it and I just need to wait for warmer weather and drop the tire pressure? I’ve launched from 2nd gear after heating the tires up and still a good bit of spin. Launching in 3rd gets zero tire spin but man the 60’ sucks lol. I’m thinking about just buying some Hoosier slicks with the D06 compound and run those on the street but Ive read that the DR’s would be better since I have an auto? I won’t be tracking the car much and I’ve got all the settings to get it hooking good on the strip but the street is lots harder. I wouldn’t think having a PD blower on the street would be so hard to hook from a dig or a roll. There HAS to be people out there hooking lots better than I am with a similar set up... or is this just the nature of the PD beast?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I know it sucks, but forget the 60 foot. Basically roll in and hope they play long enough for you to get your traction. You may not be able to be full pedal in second gear, but quick enough to keep it at the edge of traction till third gear can start to walk away

Sucks but enjoy and 11 second street car that goes 9.50 on the track

·
Registered
16,200 Posts
I would say the radial is your problem. I don't see anyone that seriously street races on a radial. Toss a 28x10.5 (W if you can fit it) set up the suspension for a slick, and work from there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like I’ll be making the switch to a 28x10 or 10.5 Hoosier D06 compound slick which is what I was thinking too. I’ve always had the C07 compound stiff wall Hoosier slicks for the street and I’ve never run the softer compound (and I believe softer/more of a wrinkle wall) slick. I’ve never had a car with this much power so is the D06 softer compound a better choice over the C07? I know they will wear quicker and this car obviously isn’t a daily driver.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone have any experience with the softer wrinkle wall D06 compound vs the harder stuff sidewall C07 compound for Hoosier slicks that I would run on the street?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so I went ahead and bought Hoosier 28x10.5 stiff sidewall slicks again. Run 16psi in these?

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
I found 16psi to be a sweet spot on the street with my hoosier qtp's. I can go lower but i sort of don't trust it with any less air on the highway, more cornering than anything.

I'm not sure what sidewalls the qtp's have compared to their full slicks.

·
Registered
16,200 Posts
I would run a tube as well to give the sidewalls a little more support. On my car (street tires on the street) I would replace the slicks after about 25 passes, as the sidewalls were done for my weight/power. Using them on the street, you'll probably see similar results.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took the car out lastnight to a local Mexico spot that has some rubber and prep. Drag radials were 15psi, was 57 degrees out with a DA of 850ish, did a burnout to heat the tires up and got backed up on my burnout strips, 2nd gear launch, loaded up the stall to 2800ish and the car hooked REAL good and even chirped the shift to 3rd. Tried the same in 1st gear and the tires broke loose of course. I think I didn’t load up the stall and just left off the foot brake it would hook. If weather cooperates I’ll try that out tonight. Might go ahead and switch to the Hoosiers when they arrive. I want to get all the white letters off them tho lol.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I run the DO6 all the time seems to work good and there is a few guys in the midwest that are making their stuff work good on the dr. The guys that are out on the street testing all the time on diff surfaces are the ones that can get the setup to work with about any tire they put on it. Some of it is how you your car feels and reacts with a certain tire I like the hoosier DO6 the soft sidewall may move around abit on the big end but I dont mind it some prefer the mt stiffs the car will be alittle more stable

·
Registered
272 Posts
I figure those guys are using a G meter and driveshaft data to dial in acceleration limits for tires and surfaces and let their power mgt system do the rest.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts