Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 496 BBC short block. It is 13.1 I would like to make 850hp or close.

I would like to know what Head choices are out there for me.

If someone has Heads and cam combos let me know. I am ready to purchase.

Motor has Probe pistons in it. 39cc dome.

I need Heads and cam.

Thanks.

·
pig hunter
9,424 Posts
your going to need to make 1.72hp per cid to meet goal!!! few heads come to mind but i would look into a good custom per app head from one of the guys around here then buy a off the self head.. you will be much happier in the long run... with that said i have made 850+ with the afr 335cnc with a little hand work. good luck!!

·
Registered
14,771 Posts
496 doesn't need a big head to make that power, just a good, well thought out combination. Good pan with a kickout, vac pump and good rings, custom solid roller, quality parts. You can get there with any small rect. port head like the Dart 310 or even the AFR 305 with some work. Out of the box, the AFR 315 cnc is probably one of the best heads for that combo IMO. I wouldn't go any bigger than a 320. If you can run a TR, there's a bunch more power available there. You're going to have your work cut out for you with a single four but it can be done.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I would spend my $$$$ with this guy ^^^^^ cboggs has some nice stuff. Call and talk with him first.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Would pump gas compression change the head selection? Obviously it would the cam and pistons. Will be shopping in the winter/spring for a rotating assembly and heads for a 496

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I have a 496 BBC short block. It is 13.1 I would like to make 850hp or close.

I would like to know what Head choices are out there for me.

If someone has Heads and cam combos let me know. I am ready to purchase.

Motor has Probe pistons in it. 39cc dome.

I need Heads and cam.

Thanks.
315AFRs, Morel Ultra Pros, some .140" wall pushrods and a Straub camshaft.

·
Information Desk
1,891 Posts
Any head done by Curtis will fly! You may also want to consider the one that I am looking at for my 461, The BMF 310. Not cheap, but extremely nasty!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
It all has to do with the application!!!!! Is it going into a heavy chassis, a light chassis?????
My little 505 made 830 hp with a set of Dart Pro 1 325 heads and I am pushing 1000hp with these same heads and basic work has been done to them, ie gasket match, and some blending and these are in a 3525 lb. chassis going extremely low 9's(9.11) and heads into the 8's in 2 weeks.

I would think the application along with a cyl. head choice AND cam choice AND intake choice all have to be taken into consideration.

I see guys with a 496 that have anywhere from 310cfm heads up to 360cfm heads!!!!

How high do you want to buzz this engine up to?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am pretty sure the car will be 3300# with it. Stock Susp. 4th gen camaro on 275's. I would like to run 6.00 to 5.90's on motor. Will be running E-85 also. Might spray a small shot later on down the road. Thought about running index stuff for now.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Curtis,

How does the new BB2 compare to the small bore version RFD 24 heads. I know it takes longer toget the RFD 24. I would think the edelbrock head would be the ultimate choice if you wanted the top dog. What say you?

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Curtis,

How does the new BB2 compare to the small bore version RFD 24 heads. I know it takes longer toget the RFD 24. I would think the edelbrock head would be the ultimate choice if you wanted the top dog. What say you?
That would be true, .. the eddy based build is better, .. doesn't
take as long to get the small bore Eddy builds as that program
is completely proofed, .. but still -around 6 weeks.

curtis

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Thanks Curtis.

I would think that he could make an easy 900 HP with a 13:1 compression 496 using your RFD 24 small bore heads. If he had good rings the right cam and intake etc. I am sure those heads are capable of supporting that kind of power.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
There are better chambers for pump gas yes, its the better head most of the time LOL so yes and no. I like the small chamber with less dome on the piston

1 - 20 of 21 Posts