Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for first-hand experiences and suggestions for an EFI unit-assembly. This will be an SBC 383 build going into a street rod style 56 Chevy Apache truck. There will be all kinds of room for just about any kind-style of EFI system. I have looked at the Edelbrock Pro-Flo, Holley, etc. What about using a traditional intake with EFI throttle body system. Is one better than the other, more tuner friendly? What about cam and head choice. The customer wants over 500 HP, aluminum heads and a hydraulic roller cam.

Thanks for looking, ?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Easily done. Many choices. Depends on how you want it to look

Single plane type carb intake with fuel rails. Edelbrock, holley, rhs all make some. Put a 90 deg elbow on it or 4150 type throttle.

Tpis miniram, holley/weiand stealth ram if you can find them, eddy pro flo with some port work will do it. All up to you

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Holley sniper 4150
i love these sniper units, they work well, and are easy.
im a holley dealer btw...

if you want a more "efi looking" setup, the holley HP with a small throttle body and some 48 lb injectors would work fantastic as well.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holley sniper 4150
i love these sniper units, they work well, and are easy.
im a holley dealer btw...

if you want a more "efi looking" setup, the holley HP with a small throttle body and some 48 lb injectors would work fantastic as well.
Thanks for the info, it will be up to the customer. I will pass the info along. (y)

·
Idiot Savant
162,802 Posts
I'm looking for first-hand experiences and suggestions for an EFI unit-assembly. This will be an SBC 383 build going into a street rod style 56 Chevy Apache truck. There will be all kinds of room for just about any kind-style of EFI system. I have looked at the Edelbrock Pro-Flo, Holley, etc. What about using a traditional intake with EFI throttle body system. Is one better than the other, more tuner friendly? What about cam and head choice. The customer wants over 500 HP, aluminum heads and a hydraulic roller cam.

Thanks for looking, ?
GM has that new 383 motor with efi ready to run for 6,800.00.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
My own personal 383 used the holley stealth ram intake setup with a 230 deg hyd roller cam and AFR 195 heads. Dyno 400 at the tires, ran 11.4 at 119 at 3450 in some warm weather.

I think a good port 195-210cc sbc head will do great with a hyd roller in the 230’s deg range.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My own personal 383 used the holley stealth ram intake setup with a 230 deg hyd roller cam and AFR 195 heads. Dyno 400 at the tires, ran 11.4 at 119 at 3450 in some warm weather.

I think a good port 195-210cc sbc head will do great with a hyd roller in the 230’s deg range.
Thanks for the reply and info. I know EFI takes a different cam profile. You have a cam in mind, part number. I know if you cam EFI wrong it will be a TRUD. I have narrowed it down to a 210cc head with 10.5 no more than 11.1 compression. Just need to pick a cam and an EFI assembly.
Thanks Again,

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I honestly would cam them the same as any na build. Only issue may be closed loop o2 sensor control, it may read false due to overlap issues at idle. Good systems like holley hp can turn off closed loop at idle so no worries

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I honestly would cam them the same as any na build. Only issue may be closed loop o2 sensor control, it may read false due to overlap issues at idle. Good systems like holley hp can turn off closed loop at idle so no worries
The reason why I asked about cam suggestions for an EFI is you got to have a strong vacuum signal. An NA cam profile that I have in mind is something with 106 cl. I know cam like this will not the required vacuum to satisfy all the sensors.

Thanks Again,

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
The reason why I asked about cam suggestions for an EFI is you got to have a strong vacuum signal. An NA cam profile that I have in mind is something with 106 cl. I know cam like this will not the required vacuum to satisfy all the sensors.

Thanks Again,
Never heard of that and i’ve had many efi engines lol. Vacuum signal is for power brakes imo.

Your map sensor based fuel table may become an issue with very little vacuum but there are ways to deal with that, plus your typical street engine build is not gonna have an issue getting some half decent vacuum.
My 383 had a 109 lsa. I’ve seen 106-107 lsa cams done, but total overlap is likely more of an indicator of idle vacuum.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I built a 383 w/ Brodix RR200 heads, Brodix HVH dual plane intake, and a Comp hyd roller 220/220 110lsa cam and made 485fhp with a FiTech on it. This ran ok, but I have a buddy with a hotrod shop and he hates the Fitechs. He has done several and about half work right. The real problem is no customer support from them. He is a shop and it took weeks to just get a call back after messages, emails, DM's etc. Go with a Holley, customer support is great and the overall quality is way better.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Ran the out-of-the-box Holley HP setup with their single plane intake, throttle body, rails, regulator, crank trigger, etc. on a 450 ish HP 383. Brian Macy of The EFI Store did a base tune remotely for me. Thing ran great, only ever had a single issue with the setup, and that was of my own doing (and never happened again once corrected). Would use it again in a heartbeat, especially on a street car. Fired every time by the second crank.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
CorkyE, Thanks for the reply. If you don't mind sharing, I would like to know more about your engine combo. You can send me a P.M. if this Top $ecret.
Actually nothing secret at all. Scat 9000 internals, Howards 180525-12 HR cam, 1.6 rockers, ProFiler 195 heads. This comes with it's own distributor, so timing control is simple as tapping a screen. The ProFlo 4 really made this engine calm down at idle and wake up in the mid range. I've put my A/C system back in and all works well. This is in a 79 Z-28 and is the 4150 type TB, I don't think the XT style will clear the hood.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,510 Posts

Thanks Again,
Stop listening to people that have no clue about EFI. Hell, I do NHRA Stock Eliminator cars with EFI and their whacky ass cams produce less than 4 inches of vacuum at idle and I have NO problem tuning them!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Chad, you have a 58mm single throttle body on an elbow on that? Isn't that the TPI motor you were building or something different all together?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts