Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting towards the end of my "restoration" of my 96 Impala. I have the body back on the chassis, new LSX/LSA engine in, inner fenders, front end all on.

The car needs A LOT of body work from dings, dents, a minor side-swiping from a hit and run driver etc.... I won't be able to afford it for a year or two but I wanted to just assemble the car for now and plastic-dip it so I can drive it.

My question is, what order should I use to align everything on the front clip? I put the body on as centered as possible over the body mount holes and my measurements from the pinch to the chassis are the same on both sides. Right now I have the radiator support bolted up, inner fenders in, fenders on and nothing really looks too close despite all my shimming work. I was a little worried right out of the gate because I have damn near 1/2 inch of spacers on the rad support and it still seems like the front of the fenders have to come up. I didn't bolt up the hood yet.

I mean i'm sure I can figure out what needs to happen once I bolt the hood on, but I wanted to take it back to step one and hear from the pros or experienced guys as to what order I should be aligning things in. any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
854 Posts
I assume the doors are on ???

Get your fender to door gap right and that will tell you where the rad support height needs to be.

·
43,500 Posts
Also make sure your mounts under your radiator support are correct, if the support is too low, that could explain the need for so many shims under the front of the fenders.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
And for what it's worth, if doing this alone you can go get some rubber hose that has wall thickness a bit less than the door gap you want and slice one side and put it over the leading door edge and it will help set door to fender gaps and once set just peel the tubing out of the gap. An old timer told me that and it helped me alot doing it by myself. He also said set gaps back to front then top to bottom. Just what helps me but I am in NO WAY a pro. Hell I'm not even a novice yet. I'm a tick over village idiot when doing g this stuff. Lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts