Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
installing a strut front end on my 78 camaro. little confused on angle position of the forward lower control arm tabs. directions that came with kit show conflicting info. one diagram shows rod end being at a vertical position and another diagram shows rod end at a horizontal.

not sure which is correct and why?

thanks

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I usually run them vertically(just because they have a larger range of motion). However, I have seen MANY cars built using the other way and they have worked fine. Remember to get the angles of the lower control arms correct...the arm going forward should go pretty much as far forward as possible, unless that is a crazy amount. Go for 17-18" between the rear mounting point and the front mounting point.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my plans call for 16-5/8". should i increase this width?

thanks

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
that intersting my strange struts plans called for 14 that is where I did mine but it is very tight with the inner tie rod area

·
Registered
305 Posts
that intersting my strange struts plans called for 14 that is where I did mine but it is very tight with the inner tie rod area
14" will work, that is what Strange calls for in the instructions. Kyle is describing a better dimension to use which adds strength to the control arm.

Carl

·
Registered
893 Posts
it'l depend on which way works best for your car but either way should work.the strut only has 5 or 7"of travel so if you've got the angle good on the a-frame it'l work.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my chassis plan calls for a distance of 13.75, while the plans for the strut call for 16.625. going to call company to see why there is a discrepancy in both of their plans.
thanks

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Wider you go, the stronger the "A" becomes. Just remember that. Dont get rediculous with the width, but its a no-brainer to go with the bigger of the two dimensions you have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts