Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
If it is a scoop or similar, once you cut through the gel coat your in deep do-do. If your just removing paint of it, try soda blasting. Elaborate a little and the answers will be better.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
You may be able to do it with razor blades (screwdriver handle with the razor blade in the end)
I have helped strip a few vettes like that. Once you got the knack, it comes off pretty quick and you only take off the paint

·
PowdercoatBill
9,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm wanting to strip paint off a Corvette. I bought some paint remover designed for fiberglass, I was just nervous about using it.
I don't want to blast it cause it's a running driving car and they'll never mask it up enough to keep sand from getting into everywhere.

Henny, when you stripped your, did it damage the fiberglass at all?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Hello 71 Monte

The razor blade works really well. On laquer cars it is harder, but if it has been re-painted it is not too bad
Keep the angle of the screwdriver(w razor ) lower, not high so it digs in. It only will dig in at the first...not part way through a pass
Just start lightly and try to start at an edge. Once it starts to come off, don't stop and re start in a jerky motion. It is has more than one paint job, it comes off easily
If you keep going on a smooth pass after it starts to come off, it is amazing how much you can take off quickly
If you already have fiberglass stripper, you could put it on and then use the razor blade trick
Regular paint stripper can damage the gel coat underneath. You could try it at first without the stripper, to see if it is coming off easy enough. Any litle marks on the glass from stripping can be easily filled and smoothed with Vette bond
hope this helps
Tom

·
PowdercoatBill
9,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You may be able to do it with razor blades (screwdriver handle with the razor blade in the end)
I have helped strip a few vettes like that. Once you got the knack, it comes off pretty quick and you only take off the paint
WHOLY SHIT THIS WORKS GOOD! I got the hood and top of the fenders stripped in about an hour last night.
Thanks for the info.:)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Now a days make sure you find a good quality razor blade you would be amazad at the cheap chinese ones and good ones. I get mine from Auto Magic they are their brand the guy that sells the recon supplies from his truck. Also you have to "edge" your blade. Run the razor blade up backwards on a wet piece of auto glass 4 or 5 times and then only use that side.. You should see peoples faces when you start running a razor blade taking pitch of a fairly new car. Good luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't have problems using a DA on glass...just don't get stupid with it. Also, if you are going to build it back up make sure you use a polyester filler primer, it will help fill imperfections greatly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts