Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
friday night i stripped a spark plug hole, was feeling funny since the beginning of the year, and gave out. head is old dart 360, tapperseat short reach plug. how do i fix it, can i just heli coil it or does it need welded. nitous motor, a lot of it!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bubble Gum and wait till the next Friday night heads up race to see if it works. :p

J/K
thats about what i did agaist jim in the second round, some quick engineering, it was pretty funny!

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
it will affect the plug reading..... the steel insert holds the heat longer...in which it burns all the fuel off the plug so there is no fuel ring so that cylinder will look leaner than the rest... if possible compare egts on that cylinder to another....

·
Registered
365 Posts
There's a company called lock & stitch I believe that makes a killer plug insert setup. rkimmis on here has used them on his 2500hp outlaw 10.5 setup. They also have alum inserts so it doesnt affect plug reading like the steel ones.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
it will affect the plug reading..... the steel insert holds the heat longer...in which it burns all the fuel off the plug so there is no fuel ring so that cylinder will look leaner than the rest... if possible compare egts on that cylinder to another....
x2, I've heard that it changes the heat transfer between the head and the plug, some people recommend just doing them all on a race engine to keep the plugs consistent. You may need to change to a colder plug after adding steel inserts in an aluminum head (Less heat transfer from plug to head)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
friday night i stripped a spark plug hole, was feeling funny since the beginning of the year, and gave out. head is old dart 360, tapperseat short reach plug. how do i fix it, can i just heli coil it or does it need welded. nitous motor, a lot of it!

It was the progressive controller that did this.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Put an insert in it and then get it fixed the next time the head is off. It will change the reading on the plug. But if you know that then don't tune off that plug unless that was the lean cylinder. Also not a bad idea to go down on heat range if your worried about the plug getting hot.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
x2, I've heard that it changes the heat transfer between the head and the plug, some people recommend just doing them all on a race engine to keep the plugs consistent. You may need to change to a colder plug after adding steel inserts in an aluminum head (Less heat transfer from plug to head)
it dont burn any hotter it just burns all the fuel stick with the same plugs...

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Go to your local NAPA store. They will have to look in their books, but they sale two kinds. The best one is a Heli-coil brand one, but they will have to know where to look for it. If I can I will find the part#, but they are only a few bucks, we have used them for 5 years and spray over 500hp, so they work just fine.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Go to your local NAPA store. They will have to look in their books, but they sale two kinds. The best one is a Heli-coil brand one, but they will have to know where to look for it. If I can I will find the part#, but they are only a few bucks, we have used them for 5 years and spray over 500hp, so they work just fine.
AMEN

·
Complete Smartass
6,190 Posts
There's a company called lock & stitch I believe that makes a killer plug insert setup. rkimmis on here has used them on his 2500hp outlaw 10.5 setup. They also have alum inserts so it doesnt affect plug reading like the steel ones.
x2 these work fantastic

·
Registered
12,031 Posts
When we did this we got 6 opinions from 5 people (like everything else in racing) but just put an insert in it. Steel worked just fine and the plug looks like it always has.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When we did this we got 6 opinions from 5 people (like everything else in racing) but just put an insert in it. Steel worked just fine and the plug looks like it always has.
thanks for the info guys

·
YB Monster Crew
9,107 Posts
Wheeler I have you covered... :D

·
Registered
365 Posts
The lock & stitch deal is very $$ but worth every penney. I'm telling you it is the ONLY way to repair a spark plug hole the right way. Look them up on the web, you'll be glad you did.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts