Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says. I have a top end complete, made over 900 HP na at 14.7/1 on C16 and over 1300 on a small nitrous kit 80 jet.

I quit class racing and want to build something for the street, not a DD but something for weekend cruzin.

502 block, have everything but pistons and crank so I can go smaller than 500 or up to 589.

Thinking about twin turbo's on a low compression pump gas setup. I'm a nitrous guy and won't be class racing so it will have nitrous if needed.

Looking at all options, blow thru, e85, injected.

If you could do anything what would you build?

S10, 9 inch, 40 spline axles, stock suspension, glide.

Currently has 3.89 gears have a set of 3.65 gears, weighs under 3000 with driver.

·
Registered
716 Posts
It all depends on how fast you want it to be. If its 90% street, your 500ish CI BBC on just motor, is likely more than most people would want for the street (power-wise). If i was using a combo like that, i would likely run an EFI setup such as fast xfi or holley, and run either a large single (like a 91-106mm large frame) or if you want to run twins, then two medium size mid-frames. Keeping in mind that both options will result in HP that you probably will never use. For street use, it pretty much rules out methanol, however e-85 and a slightly lower boost level may work well without an intercooler. If you plan on gasoline, you can most likely get away with 15-18psi boost safely without intercooling. Once again it all depends on what you want out of it in the end. Whatever you do with the engine, make sure you use a good piston design with a strong safe ring package. It may be worth sacrificing some stroke to allow for the better ring pack and pin location. Once your done with the build, make sure you get a decent converter for your combo, this will likely be a tighter converter than you already run, but will perform the way it should, and keep trans temps at a reasonable level.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I just did that build, lol. See my build thread..... it is a long thread but the early pages are concerning the engine build. Best of luck

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think what he's hinting at is he wants to be on street outlawzzzz

I would put twin 76mm turbos on there... are you going to drive it to where you drive it or are you going to trailer it to where you drive it? ;)

If you're going to put some miles on the car i'd run air to air intercooler.. if not i'd do air to water and bring some ice bags with me everywhere i go.

With twin 76s or bigger... if you need n20 on top of it you're either doing it wayy wrong .... or waaayy right... if you know what i mean...

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just did that build, lol. See my build thread..... it is a long thread but the early pages are concerning the engine build. Best of luck
The truck is built to be nhra and ecta legal. I quit drag racing but might do some land speed racing in the next few years.

I am thinking of using a 396 crank with the 502 bore. I'll have to do the math on ci but I figure 1500 HP should not be hard and still be easy on parts.

Do you have a link to your build thread?

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think what he's hinting at is he wants to be on street outlawzzzz

I would put twin 76mm turbos on there... are you going to drive it to where you drive it or are you going to trailer it to where you drive it? ;)

If you're going to put some miles on the car i'd run air to air intercooler.. if not i'd do air to water and bring some ice bags with me everywhere i go.

With twin 76s or bigger... if you need n20 on top of it you're either doing it wayy wrong .... or waaayy right... if you know what i mean...
Street in-laws are gay as a giant bag of dicks!

·
Registered
639 Posts
509 and 2x 475's will get you 1500rwhp without any issues if you put the combo together properly..

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
^^^ Borg Warner S400-based turbos. They're most-commonly available as T6-based units, in a variety of sizes that are denoted as S4xx. The 75.4mm version is called the S475, about $660/each/shipped and will support 700-1000HP. The 71mm version is the S471, the 80mm version is the S480, etc.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^^ Borg Warner S400-based turbos. They're most-commonly available as T6-based units, in a variety of sizes that are denoted as S4xx. The 75.4mm version is called the S475, about $660/each/shipped and will support 700-1000HP. The 71mm version is the S471, the 80mm version is the S480, etc.
This is what I love about yb. I just ask a question and learn what would take hundreds of hours of research in a couple minutes.

Not sure why but I was thinking twin 106's, looks like that might be to much?:p

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice build. So what do you think about a short stroke, large bore, long rod BBC. 502 block, 3.76 stroke. Keep the low end power down for drive ability but be able to spin it up for high end power. Remember this is a very light s10 with ss and small tires, 325 drag radials would be the biggest tire I could fit.

Smaller cu helps out on the land speed racing also.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Thanks! I did a 4" stroke because its a street car and you will only have so much traction anyway. Just wanted to soften the torque a bit. I'm not sure I would go less than 4" in a BBC.... just my .02 cents.

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks! I did a 4" stroke because its a street car and you will only have so much traction anyway. Just wanted to soften the torque a bit. I'm not sure I would go less than 4" in a BBC.... just my .02 cents.
Just thinking out the combo. 3.76 will keep me in the A class. If I go 4.0 puts me in the AA class. At that point I would make the jump to around 600 ci.

A 3.76 stroke will be around 484 ci depending on where the bore will clean up. What is the down side of a shorter stroke? I know the upsides of slower piston speed, rod to stroke ratio, and lighter rotating mass.

I know I will be giving up torque but that is what I'm trying to do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts