Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So suppose you have 8k to play with. You're going to build a weekend toy. It will sit garaged during the week and see street duty for fun, and you can drive to the track and play around with it. Brackets occasionally, Test n Tunes, Friday night drags. Would be nice to have room for the fam to ride with, although not a requisite. Any kind of car, any kind of motor combo, 11.50's - 10.50's would be nice. Reliability would be nice although a support vehicle would never be too far way should something break at the track. Assume that all labor would be done in house so parts and the car would be the only thing consuming the budget.

What car would you start with?

What motor combo?

Forced induction or nitrous?

Have fun with this and be creative....the best suggestions won't be disregarded. A build thread should appear this off season....:)

What would you build??

·
Registered
7,540 Posts
Build ? I dont know about that.. I think I would try and find one already done and let the owner take the hit on it.. You will have plenty of time working on it fixing chit and making it your own anyways... Look for something turn key that ya like and show up with cash in hand..

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was curious if that was going to be the smarter route to take Steve...

67 Chevelle, would that build fit into the alloted budget?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 18* stuff kills it...........

If you already had some good 23* stuff you may be able to make it happen.....but i`m not able to stick to your budget.....

·
Registered
15,727 Posts
I was curious if that was going to be the smarter route to take Steve...

67 Chevelle, would that build fit into the alloted budget?
nope i already have 15k+ in my 67 velle baught for $5500 with weak 396 new motor 408sbc $5000 tranny rbld $800 new rear end it came with some weird rear end that wasnt factory put a 9" in it $1200 new brakes $600 and the list goes on and on and it still needs paint. but it will be entirely my vision. Buy a complete car but to find something clean that runs 11.50's is gonna be a good find

·
Registered
14 Posts
mid 70's camaro or firebird or something...buy a crate motor - take the skyle route and empty it of all weight..put some gears in it..run 100 octane..done! :)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Although an air cooled VW would be rad, finding a decent one to start with would kill half the budget from the jump. I have LOTS of air & water cooled resources but I've all but ruled them out at this point :)

·
Registered
8,263 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WJ, sorry, I was refering to an air cooled bug set up :) I toyed with that idea for a while...blow through turbo set up and such...

I'm going to be selling off a car and another project to allow funding for this over the winter. I'll have to stick strictly to what I start with due to wifey approval factor.

·
Registered
308 Posts
ding ding ding!!! We have a winnah!!

mid 70's camaro or firebird or something...buy a crate motor - take the skyle route and empty it of all weight..put some gears in it..run 100 octane..done! :)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Build ? I dont know about that.. I think I would try and find one already done and let the owner take the hit on it.. You will have plenty of time working on it fixing chit and making it your own anyways... Look for something turn key that ya like and show up with cash in hand..
This is what I would do.

·
Registered
15,534 Posts
g-body's are cheap and plentiful. i bought my 78 malibu rolling with a 4.10 geared 12 bolt, set up for small block, th350 for $2500 with new (albeit ugly) paint, full interior. i have an aluminum headed 350, hyd flat tappet cam, stock bottom end, pump gas motor. it ran a best of [email protected] n/a @ 3475 lbs with me in it. i have probably 7 or 8 grand in it, if that much. there is plenty of room for the family, and a big trunk that i could actually use if i didn't have a battery and fuel cell back there.:(
fox body mustangs are another one to consider. early camaros and chevelles and novas will be to expensive to start, unless you find one already done that the owner is needing to get out from under.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts