Yellow Bullet Forums banner

81 - 100 of 137 Posts

·
Shrewd Negotiator
10,751 Posts
Doing something stupid as a kid is skipping class, not doing your job at the grocery store, banging your girlfriend's best friend ad thinking she won't find out. (She will)

This kid's "something stupid" killed a mother and her child. So the only issue I have is, why did the other kid only get 6 years.
Seriously? Because he isn't the one that was charged with vehicular homicide. He didn't hit the mother and child. The other kid did.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
To be honest, I still street race. But not on city streets, and never anywhere where there is traffic or pedestrians!
We are usually "out in the boonies" so to speak.

·
Registered
9,185 Posts
Seriously? Because he isn't the one that was charged with vehicular homicide. He didn't hit the mother and child. The other kid did.
In some places and in some cases it may not matter. In Texas we have the Law of Parties. The Law of Parties is usually used for murder cases where it called the Felony Murder Rule, but it is not exclusive to murder. The law of parties is predicated upon a scenario with some or all of these elements:
  1. You cause or aid an innocent or non-responsible person to engage in criminal behavior;
  2. You intentionally promote or assist the commission of the offense, solicit, encourage, direct, aid, or attempt to aid another person to commit the crime; or
  3. You have a legal duty to prevent the commission of a crime and you intentionally promote or assist the commission of the crime and fail to make a reasonable effort to prevent it.
Therefore, if the law of parties were to be applied to this situation, it would make any person in the party as culpable as the other. So, yeah, in some cases the second guy may just as guilty as the dude who ran the mother and child over.

And now you have been educated...

·
Registered
26,520 Posts
Doing over 120 MPH on that road, is flat ass ignorant and makes one a dumbshit.

He earned what he got.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I'm curious what people think would be a fair sentence? While we don't have all the facts we have here anything from life sentences to some sort of far lesser time. The kid killed someone due to a street race that he had a choice to participate in. IMO, both kids should have received the same sentence as both were racing. EIther driver could have declined the challenge & it's more likely than not the mother & child would still be alive then. 24 years is a long time--------so's lying in a pine box for eternity. Sorry, the Judge sounds pretty fair to me.......
thread killer. 😆

·
Registered
9,185 Posts
I'm curious what people think would be a fair sentence? While we don't have all the facts we have here anything from life sentences to some sort of far lesser time. The kid killed someone due to a street race that he had a choice to participate in. IMO, both kids should have received the same sentence as both were racing. EIther driver could have declined the challenge & it's more likely than not the mother & child would still be alive then. 24 years is a long time--------so's lying in a pine box for eternity. Sorry, the Judge sounds pretty fair to me.......
For me, I don't know. First, I don't know the entire set of circumstances in this case. That matters. Second, I generally tend to be neither forgiving nor flexible, although I certainly do empathize when applicable. I read a lot about crime and the criminal element, and and one the most perplexing things I encounter is when a victim's family forgives the perpetrator (rapist or murderer, usually), and pleads to the court for removal of the death penalty or some other form of clemency. I cannot understand that.

On one hand, this is a sad, stupid accident on behalf of the drivers of each car. I know they didn't mean to kill two people. On the other hand, two people were killed because some idiots were behaving like idiots. Leniency is not my forte. On a couple juries I was the foreman and we had to consider punishments. For me from where I was sitting, punishment was all or nothing. But if I were the shoes of the defendants, well...

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
It was an accident, preventable for sure, but certainly doesn't deserve the same sentence as a premeditated murder. Six years would be a fit punishment and deterrent. Even if the kid got 75 years it still won't bring momma and the baby back.

As for the driver of the second car i think six years is too harsh also. Before you think he's equally to blame consider the case of a local guy. Basically the other guys who were killed in a crash did a "ricer fly by" on the freeway and lost it. But he was beside them according to witnesses and now he is making license plates or getting anally abused in prison for something he had no part of.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
It was an accident, ...
I don't know, racing at 120+ mph on that road sounds like intentional wanton and reckless behavior to me. Unless we're thinking that his foot just accidentally slipped onto the gas pedal?

Anytime we behave deliberately recklessly, we have to accept that things can happen with serious consequences.

·
Registered
43,020 Posts
It was an accident, preventable for sure, but certainly doesn't deserve the same sentence as a premeditated murder. Six years would be a fit punishment and deterrent. Even if the kid got 75 years it still won't bring momma and the baby back.

As for the driver of the second car i think six years is too harsh also. Before you think he's equally to blame consider the case of a local guy. Basically the other guys who were killed in a crash did a "ricer fly by" on the freeway and lost it. But he was beside them according to witnesses and now he is making license plates or getting anally abused in prison for something he had no part of.
They were both involved in a criminal act which resulted in a death. That by definition is murder.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
They were both involved in a criminal act which resulted in a death. That by definition is murder.
No, that's not the definition of murder. Murder must be deliberate, or, as the definition states, malice aforethought. These kids didn't intend to kill anyone. In their case it's should be involuntary manslaughter, which is all the other parts of murder (unlawful, killing, criminal act, by a human of a human), minus the intent. The person's death occurs as a result of the negligent or reckless actions of the defendant.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
Didn't read the posts, don't need to.
FUCK STREET RACERS.
My wife and i were hit early one morning by a street racing POS blowing through a red light, ironically while we we towing my race truck home from the track. He fired his Mustang up and limped off. I was stuck in the middle of the intersection with a hurt tow truck and wife.
Now...tell me why street racing is OK for any god damn reason.
Its like a plague in Albuquerque, NM. Time to start takin cars.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Murder needs to have the intent to kill. Accidental death caused by negilence like turning on the chipper shredder without checking for someone trying to clean it or in this case wreckless driving, is not intent. That is a perversion of law to charge it as such. But that happens nowadays.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
They intended to commit a crime that resulted in a death. Intention to kill is irrelevant when you are engaged in a crime.
No, again. A death caused by a lawful act (this is the crime you keep mentioning) done under the reasonable belief that no harm was likely to result (this is the stupid idiots drag racing) is an accidental killing. This not the same as a guy shooting someone during a robbery and then claiming later that he never intended to pull the trigger. Yes, there's a difference in the eyes of the law, maybe not in your eyes. I get where you're coming from, but you're wrong. Read this - Accidental Killing

·
T/S 368E
33,830 Posts

Learning by their mistakes is one of "THE" dumbest saying I've ever heard.
Even as a single digit little kid, I was intelligent enough to know that was just an excuse morons & losers used!!!

The justice system in this country is moronic.
It doesn't deter crime in any manner.
The punishment should deter the next guy not to do something moronic!!!
The punishment is not going to bring back 2 dead people, that loser already took that away from all the innocent people in that corner of the world.

So since these 2 losers weren't worried about what their actions could cause, obviously the system doesn't work.

Now if these 2 losers were hung on national TV, I bet that would deter other losers and want to be badass' from taking those actions.
As I've posted many many times. If speeding was actually punished, nobody would speed.
The cops give you 4 miles over, so you take 5.
The cops give you 9 miles over, so you take 10.

The punishment should "NEVER" fit the crime.
We don't get to pick what laws we follow.
Just like when priests ruin the lives of little boys, they try to say they wanted it.
Or the POS LOSER illegal street racers have one excuse after another why they can do what ever they want!!!

You want to stop crime, any crime, than do what needs to be done!!!
Looks at the numbers in the countries that actually punish criminals, and look at ours.
It's disgusting how we have to live not knowing if you, your wife or your kids are going to be a victim at any second!!!

81 - 100 of 137 Posts