Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been working nights recently and this morning stumbled on a story that's bothered me all day today. It's not new so please spare me all the comments if you've seen this or it was discussed at length already. Here's the short version: 18 year old kid is going to the gym, sees a buddy and they have a little impromptu race, I believe it was in Florida. Anyway, the kid's car hits a mother walking her baby in a stroller and kills them both. As a parent I cannot imagine losing a wife and kid that way, it's truly horrible and there's no excuse for it whatsoever. As a car guy, I cannot say I've never done something just as dumb as the kid driving and maybe that's what bothers me. Anyway, the part I saw on TV was the sentencing. Basically, this young man got 24 years in prison for this crime, and I absolutely do believe what he did was a crime. The kid he was racing got 6 years if I remember correctly. Also speaking as a parent of a 20 year old young man, I cannot imagine seeing your son basically throw his life away and have to go through this, and before anyone climbs on a self-righteous soapbox about parenting, ask yourself if you've ever done something like this. Anyway, just can't stop thinking about this sad story and wondered what the thoughts were here.

·
Former RJ instigator
43,107 Posts
First off, the car didn't hit anybody, the kid did, cars don't drive themselves, nor do guns kill people without someone pulling the trigger.

24 years may seem like a long time but to the family that lost a young mother and her baby, is 24 years really enough? I know opinions vary but I'm thinking fuck no.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Doing something stupid as a kid is skipping class, not doing your job at the grocery store, banging your girlfriend's best friend ad thinking she won't find out. (She will)

This kid's "something stupid" killed a mother and her child. So the only issue I have is, why did the other kid only get 6 years.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree that the kid deserved whatever the judge gave him, no two ways about it. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. I know earlier this year, my son was looking to buy an '03 Mustang Cobra and while he's an adult and I was happy to see him show a passion for cars, we also had a looong talk about how fast things can turn to shit in a fast car. I asked him to promise that if he got the car (it sold the day we were scheduled to see it) he wouldn't screw around on the street. I told him I'd help him run it at the strip and it would be a lot of fun for both of us. That kid got the car (Mustang GT) as a high school graduation present and I'm guessing never got that same speech from his parents.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
There are no winners in the whole situation. The kid did something stupid for sure, and yes he should get the 24 years, but by the same token, it almost seems unfair when other people who murder others get less time than that. But the family of the victims should have some closure from the sentencing.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Shit happens kid will get full education , free dental , shower sex his masturbation papers and likely early parole . Who could ask for anything more lol

Do silly shit get silly prize

·
Trolling the Trolls
16,258 Posts
Better than getting a life sentence for a small package of drugs? He should be thankful.

Yes, I've done a few races in Mexico. But I've also done 1500+ passes at two local drag strips.

150+ MPH on the QEW near St. Cath, in a NA EG Honda 1.6L on 85 shot....one time, in Canada.

·
Registered
14,212 Posts
we've all done stupid things and have been lucky we did not hurt kill someone. Compared to the gang bangers, 24 years does seem harsh but to the family is not enough.

·
Registered
20,313 Posts
I guess the best we can hope for is we survive our childhood w/o hurting anyone, and our kids can do the same. My guess is the kid wont do all the time, but will lose a good part of his life the wrong way. He has to live with what he did.

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
It was extra stupid. On a roadway that has a 30mph speed limit and is known for having walkers and joggers on it. I live in this area and honestly, you couldn't pick a worse road to try and race on. He deserves everything he got and maybe even a little more. No sympathy for him at all.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I guess the best we can hope for is we survive our childhood w/o hurting anyone, and our kids can do the same. My guess is the kid wont do all the time, but will lose a good part of his life the wrong way. He has to live with what he did.
That's it man. I've done plenty of dumb shit. Got caught and paid the price for some of it. In hindsight, yeah some stuff should have killed me or someone else. Luckily that never happened.

As far as this particular story, he took not one but 2 lives and an infant at that. Can't get much worse of a "mistake".

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
First off, the car didn't hit anybody, the kid did, cars don't drive themselves, nor do guns kill people without someone pulling the trigger.

24 years may seem like a long time but to the family that lost a young mother and her baby, is 24 years really enough? I know opinions vary but I'm thinking fuck no.
You are absolutely correct. The parents will see there son probably in less than 24 years. The wife and baby are never coming home. They were robbed of their lives and the knuckle head that did it should live by the rules of "eye for an eye" .

·
Intellectual Turd Chaser
6,364 Posts
I've street raced, long ago, either on a highway or a sparsely populated country road. I grew up though.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Most anyone who messes with cars or trucks has done stupid shit that could kill someone. Racing on the streets is risky business and can get someone hurt before you know it. Like others have said the mother and child are never coming home and if it was my wife and daughter I would never be the same. I would probably be waiting for the person to get out of jail and follow their parole hearings with all my ability. When he did get out I would probably take him out when he least expected it. That kind of pain is not forgotten easily for some people and to have my family taken from me carelessly like that would eat at me till they put me in the ground. Being a car guy, would probably make it worse for me knowing there are places to race with out putting a mother and child at risk. I still have a neat street car and still get kids who will pull up and want to go for it from a light, I simply laugh at them and say no. It doesn't mean anything to me to let them fly off and think they have the faster car. Hell they may even have it, but I know I am not going to risk killing someone because of being stupid.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Perspective usually not a level thing. Is 24 years too severe for this kids reckless behavior?
To the young driver, it's easy to think so.
To the family of the mother and child, maybe not enough.

We've all done foolish things that could have had lasting effect on our lives. Knocking someone up, jumping out of trees, or any number of "dare devil" stunts we did as lids that could have left us quadriplegics. Does the fact that we happened to walk away unscathed mean the kids penalty should be less severe?

It's just a terrible tragedy all the way around.

I agree with StreetRacer68 that the justice scales are unbalanced when someone else who willfully commits murder gets a lesser sentence. Obviously the judge here wanted to make an example. Probably a response to the anger of the local townsfolk.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts