Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just want to be able to cruise around a little bit, not far. got a big stall too. can i do it? i still have time to change ignition before april so whats the best for me?
sbc 13:1 big cam big tires planning on lots of nitrous. is crank trigger right for me?
thanks

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alrighty will do. ordered it already just want opinions cause i can always ship it back. what distributor do you run? i just got the HEI top crank trigger one from MSD. wanted the front drive but don't know the upsides to it for the extra couple hundred bucks.

·
Super Moderator
35,256 Posts
Well, if you're already driving the oil pump with the cam, then ya might as well just use a normal distributor. All you need to do is remove the pickup out of any distributor... it's only job becomes transmitting spark from the coil wire to the plug wires. So if you ordered a special distributor send it back if you already have a normal one.

Crank trigger is the only way to go in my book. You can do anything you need to these days with the modern ignitions....

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i didn't have one before cause i sold it. it was an old pos mallory one.

what would you reccomend for a box? i have a 6AL right now but don't know if that will cut it

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
I would try to at least go with a MSD Digital 6 or Digital 7 box if your buying one.

But that's just my .02

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know jack about this kind of stuff. so what the difference in the digital 7 and a 7AL2? and would i need that stuff?
i would like something to help control the nitrous

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that could control my nitrous and stuff right? with the digi timers and whatever

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Camaro_Dave said:
i know jack about this kind of stuff. so what the difference in the digital 7 and a 7AL2? and would i need that stuff?
i would like something to help control the nitrous
7AL2 (analog) is just a ignition box with a high side rev limiter

Digital 6 and 7 boxes have more features multiple stage rev limiters, Ign retard options, Etc Etc.

For $550 the digital 7 is a real nice Box

The Digital 6 runs around 3 bills

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dang i just looked up the digital 7 and sounds sweet. don't know how i would program everything but i'm sure i could figure it out.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Camaro_Dave said:
dang i just looked up the digital 7 and sounds sweet. don't know how i would program everything but i'm sure i could figure it out.
Becareful There is a digtial 7 and then there are programable Digital 7 boxes

The programable runs around 200-300 more but has way more control over the ign system than the digital 7

basically you have

7AL3 Good
Digital 7 Better
Programable Digital 7 Best
Programable Plus Digital 7 Bad ass :lol:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah i first looked at the one that was almost 900 bucks! that one would kill me if i tried to figure it out! i found the one for like 540 bucks...thats not that bad of a deal i guess if it controlls the juice and launce rev limit and stuff. that could be a cool christmas present to myself :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
The 7s are bad ass boxes. One thing to look into were you already have a 6al is to add msds multifunction controller (pn 8979)it has about 90% of the stuff a programable 7 has. I run one and the only down fall I have found is that you cant run msd's mean coil with it.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just activation. timing retard would be nice. i built my engine to hold a heavy shot. looking to shoot ~300 or more depends on where that puts me et wise. i don't really want to hit it with a 300 shot right off the brake. and i don't want to mess with pushing a button or something. i just want to release th tbrake button and have it shoot like 30-40 feet out or something

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
In that case you would want one with (or add a) RPM activated switch. Not sure if the digital 7 has that option or not I know some of the programable's do.

Or better yet use a digi-set timer to delay the nitrous in .1 sec increments after the trans brake is released.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts