Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put a 10 point cage into my 88 mustang GT. I have the heavy factory seats in there. I want to put comfortable aftermarket seats in but it says in the rule book (NHRA) that you have to have the seat bolted to the cage... How do you guys bolt them in or what do you do? I don't want an aluminum one in there I want a nice light seat though. Comfortable is very important.

·
-------------------------
6,398 Posts
Small tube coming off the cage with a flat plate on the back of the seat with a couple bolts going through the seats fastened to the plate!

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got any pictures? I also think alot seem to get away with this. Maybe if its like a stock seat you don't need it?

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think rj race cars makes a seat mount kit.i have always made my own very easy to makeand cheaper
Do you have any pictures?

Also what seats work the best? Not aluminum. I want something comfortable.

·
Registered
19,904 Posts
i saw one setup where a bar went across the floor to each side of the cage, and the seat bolted to that, then the back of the seat bolted to the back bar

·
Registered
671 Posts
The bracket makes no sence to me??? 5 point harness bolted to the cage & floor mount what good is the bracket anyway??? No place to bolt to my aftermarket seats also.... Seats made by Topex race seats..

·
Registered
174 Posts
i saw one setup where a bar went across the floor to each side of the cage, and the seat bolted to that, then the back of the seat bolted to the back bar
this is about how i have done them.i will try to find a pic this week and pm you with them.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Small tube coming off the cage with a flat plate on the back of the seat with a couple bolts going through the seats fastened to the plate!
This is how mine are done....

\
If you look by the seat belt you can kind of see. shitty pic, sorry.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Corbeau Has some great lightweight racing seats that look great in Mustangs. http://www.corbeau.com/products/fixed_back_seats/clubman/ <== Just one example.

They also sell floor brackets to fit several applications.

This is what I've used for seat back roll bar attcahment. nice kit.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G2115/
Thank you.... I have a piece that goes from through the floor subframes to underneath the seat and the subframes are welded to the cage so I would say that is part of it. But would it be legal I don't know...

·
Registered
16,346 Posts
I think it says the seat BACK must be secured/supported to the cage, not the seat mount. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think it says the seat BACK must be secured/supported to the cage, not the seat mount. I could be wrong though.
I will have to check my book if I can find it...

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I have put a 10 point cage into my 88 mustang GT. I have the heavy factory seats in there. I want to put comfortable aftermarket seats in but it says in the rule book (NHRA) that you have to have the seat bolted to the cage... How do you guys bolt them in or what do you do? I don't want an aluminum one in there I want a nice light seat though. Comfortable is very important.

Most of the weight on a factory seat comes trom the mount and adjuster. I saver about 50lbs when I took them off and welded up some new light weight mounts that are non adjustable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts