Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Huge Member
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are ready to try to cut the cord again and get rid of cable TV. Those of you that already have done this and tried a few different devices and services what has been your favorite so far and why? We tried a few years back and found the menu functions almost unusable but I honestly don't recall what services we tried. Hopefully they have improved.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I use Apollo group tv been for a few years now its ok $90 for 6 months ain't bad. Good thing is they let you have a free week trail to see how you like it.

·
Age of Acquiescence
33,092 Posts
Do a search

Just discussed a few months ago

Reactions: garysol1

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
My wife and I cut the cord about 9 months ago. We had DISH forever and for the longest time they charged us about $90 a month which wasn't too bad considering we had 4 or 5 TVs connected with all of their equipment. They threatened to raise our rates a bunch so we said goodbye. At first, we used Amazon Prime (we were already members), Paramount + and Discovery +. That was only about $20 a month (not counting Amazon Prime as we were already members) and did our streaming through Roku. Most of our TVs were Roku compatible already and the ones that were older we just bought Roku sticks which were cheap. Anyway, tried that for a while and found ourselves missing too many local channels and some of our favorite shows. Honestly, it was too much of a hassle trying to find what you want. Finally decided on YouTube TV which is $70 a month but you can watch it on any device and it has all of our local channels in addition to every channel we had with DISH. They have live TV and you can also stream previous episodes. I understand they have DVR services but I haven't looked for those yet. Finally, they have a billion movies and we haven't even investigated that yet. We're very happy with it and plan to continue.

·
Huge Member
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At $70 its getting very close to what Spectrum charges for their TV service over and above our internet charges including DVR. Maybe I should just stick with conventional "cable".

Finally decided on YouTube TV which is $70 a month

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Yes, that's an option. ^^^ We didn't have that luxury as DISH was going to raise their rates from $90 to, IIRC, $125+. I'll pay $70 every month happily and have about exactly the same channels I had with DISH plus movies and the ability to stream old episodes. We tried the less than $20 route with a couple individual ones but weren't happy. Found ourselves watching shows that really weren't that great because searching what was available got old.

·
Huge Member
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is what we found as well when we tried last time. I kept adding different services to get the programming we wanted and before we knew it our savings was out the window

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
We chose YT TV at $64 a month and added Starz for another $10. We chose this for a few reasons. My Bride records a fuck ton of shows for future viewing and the maximum space allowed meets her needs. Another is their on demand products that also meet her needs. Lastly, because they provided NESN, the Boston Red Sox network. Unfortunately there is currently a dispute between the two and not available. We considered changing but the DVR and On Demand features were insufficient. Another plus is the ability to watch TV anywhere on most devices.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
We have PCs hooked to our 3 televisions. We tried a bunch of android tv boxes in the past and they sufficed for a while. The living room and patio TVs have older PC towers with modest graphics cards and they run smoothly. We bought a $160 Win 10 Mini PC for the bedroom. It wouldn't work well as a typical home use PC but it does surf and stream excellent.

My main reason for PCs is for ease of use, speed and ad block. We also have 1000s of movies and tv shows on a NAS drive and the networking is so much easier to setup for that too.

Antenna for local TV, crackstream and others for sports, fmovies for most movies and tv shows and bit torrent for whatever else we have trouble finding.

100down/100up internet is $72 a month.

·
Registered
403 Posts
We bought ROKU TVs and AT&T internet (49.95). Installed an outside antenna for locals. Right now he have Fubo, which also has free locals, for about $65 a month.
Fubo also comes with DVR service, free I think. I don't see much diff between Fubo and Youtube TV, only the DVR.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My main goal when we dropped cable wasn't price, it was useable content. We got a Roku stick, then later a smart TV. Our main source of "regular" TV is Hulu at like $55 a month, then we use Prime for around $15 a month and Netflix for whatever they charge ($12?) There's plenty of free stuff out there, but in all honesty my first go-to is Youtube, and it's free. Now I don't have 15 home shopping networks, mexican channels or anything else I don't specifically want.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I pay 48 dollars per month for direct tv. Every time they try to raise the price to 80+ I call and ask to have a word with somebody in REtention. Threaten to cancel. Retention is the ppl that can lower ur bill to keep you on. I have to do it about once a year.
Wish I had a way to stream but ain’t got no internet service out here. Have to use phone towers. Waiting on the the star link to get Netflix again. Use to be all I used

·
Registered
29 Posts
At $70 its getting very close to what Spectrum charges for their TV service over and above our internet charges including DVR. Maybe I should just stick with conventional "cable".
we had Youtube TV when it like $20 month then it took a Big jump up to like $65 or so and we quit that! Now we are using Roku on the Smart TV with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and we will bounce around on a few weekly / monthly trials or $5.

·
T/S 368E
34,427 Posts
I pay 48 dollars per month for direct tv. Every time they try to raise the price to 80+ I call and ask to have a word with somebody in REtention.
Threaten to cancel. Retention is the ppl that can lower ur bill to keep you on. I have to do it about once a year.
Wish I had a way to stream but ain’t got no internet service out here. Have to use phone towers. Waiting on the the star link to get Netflix again.
Use to be all I used

I still think Starlink is the future and death of CATV!!!
I signed up as soon as they announced it since I've been trying to move into the boonies for 3-4 years!!

Reactions: Irocboyzz28

·
Former RJ instigator
43,590 Posts
Fire TV's with Amazon prime, Netflix and Discovery + ap, works for us, cost is over half of what I was paying with dish network, I told them to fuck off over 4 years ago, best move I've made in a long time.

·
Trolling the Trolls
16,668 Posts
About to tell Spectrum to fuck off and switch to fiber.

I have Roku with MyOutdoorTV, NBC Trackpass, access to Netflix and maybe Disocvery+.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I haven't paid for a TV service in 10yrs (other than paying for internet service).

Dropped satellite in 2010, had a firestick with netflix, hulu & sideloaded kodi.
Dropped Netflix & then hulu within about 2yrs.
Kodi became to much hassle.

I looked into the "android boxs" & ended up purchasing the nivida shield & sideloaded apps onto it (system is much faster than a junk firestick).

I also have a outside directional antenna with a preamp, a LTE filter (for the new frequency range) mounted roughly 29ft high.

On 1 tv I have a basic digital TV receiver/recorder (for standard TV stations), also has pause option.
This box has a USB port for external storage.
Requires a antenna.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts