Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my 406 together with the screen kit and plugs in the 1\4" holes over the cam. (done this before without a problem) Well i got the motor in the car filled it with a break in oil ran it for a bit, changed the oil to 5w-50 (got it for free). well the issue is the oil pressure is kind of erratic, (not steady) once it gets hot it seems to not seem right. Breaking it comes down to almost 0 then goes back up then driving it seems ok for the most part.

anyways i borught the car home, parked in the garage and was holding the throttle watching the guage. Didnt seem like it wanted to move seemed to be stuck at 20psi now. I shut the car off and after about a minute or so i bumped the car with my leg to shake it, boom i hear oil draining back into the pan. Sounded like turning a bottle upside down?? Anyone ever have this problem?? seems like the oil is getting trapped up top or something, it got new screens in the valley so i cant understand the problem. The car runs good so its not like a lifter exploded and the screens are clogged and i cant see the oil being to think to not drain back especially when its hot..... Any ideas?????????????????????
Thanks

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
take the fram filter off and put a k+n on it

Seen this a bunch of times

·
Bracket racer
5,186 Posts
Go to a thinner oil. My 406 use to do the same thing. Pumping all the oil to the top and cant get to the pan fast enough. Switched to 10w30 and don't have that problem. I don't run screens so that may be exaggerating the problem even more.

·
Bracket racer
5,186 Posts
I also put a master lube accumulator on it. Peace of mind.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll try a thinner oil and see what happens, did your pressure guage go screwy too??

I do have a K&N oil filter on it. I heard all the bad shit from fram's filters, wouldn't touch it even if it was free.....

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
one of the stupidest things i ever did........

left a rag in the intake valley....:rolleyes:

not sayin thats the problem....but it was mine

also what type of assy lube did you use? and how much? moly/lithuim....that shit will plug an oil filter QUIK

·
Bracket racer
5,186 Posts
No strange oil reading, Just would dive to 0 under decelerate. Do you run a electric or mechanical gauge? Dad ran a mechanical gauge and if he had air in the line it would bounce and do some weird stuff.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used royal purple assy lube when I put it together, and I'm using a mechanical pressure guage for the oil. I hope there's no rag in the valley! Maybe all the assy lube is messing up the screens, I don't know how but I've seen some pretty weird stuff happen before.. Maybe an oil change will help it all, I'll have to mess around with it later and see..

I'm guessing an electric guage would be the better way to go too....

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thing is its just not the guage, after i shut the motor down after about a min or so i could hear all this oil draining back into the pan. Honestly its just like turning a full bottle over with chuging and all.. Somethings up, i just gotta find out what the hell it is.... I was hoping more people had this problem too so i have more to look for rather then just tearing the motor apart........................ I will try a new guage too.

Thanks for all the help so far!!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stephen-sx04, weird thing is about the oil, with my other 406 that i had i ran 20-50w and that motor had the screens and plugs too and it never had a problem. This motor has 5w-50 and does, when this oil gets hot its seems really thin anyhow so i dont know if thats a problem....... Im gonna check it out and try some different oil and see. i just hope i dont have to take this motor apart for any reason....

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
if its a roller cam/lifters and rockers... did you use oil restrictors?

·
Bracket racer
5,186 Posts
stephen-sx04, weird thing is about the oil, with my other 406 that i had i ran 20-50w and that motor had the screens and plugs too and it never had a problem. This motor has 5w-50 and does, when this oil gets hot its seems really thin anyhow so i dont know if thats a problem....... Im gonna check it out and try some different oil and see. i just hope i dont have to take this motor apart for any reason....
Did you have the block preped? My current engine the drain hole at the back of the engine, The casting slag damn near closed the hole up. I took a grinder and opened it up as much as I could.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts