Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Storage Wars on TV

6K views 31 replies 26 participants last post by  Rkfdspeed 
#1 ·
Anyone gettin into this show? I am hooked.

Pay $750 for for a storage unit of old newspapers. Then find out they are all from the day Elvis died and are worth $50,000.

#3 ·
I've got a good friends thats been doing it for over 15 yrs...made good money doing it.....said the show has now about Phucked it all up, everyone looking for the great find....there paying way to much for storage units.....he said the bidding gets crazy now with big jumps and buying at any cost just to get it

#4 ·
Was going to say the same thing, I have some friends who have had a resale shop for years and always had a bunch of different stuff.
Now he says that he can not even get stuff to keep on the shelves, because within the last 6 months the number of people at the auctions has quadrupled.

#5 ·
The stuff in the storage lockers is interesting, but I wonder what the ratio of clunkers to great finds is? The bidder to bidder "conflicts" seem a little contrived to me. And that one guy's bitchy old lady makes me want to tell him to strap on a spine and kick her ass back to the kitchen.

#6 ·
i like the show, they showed an older find darrell had it was a locker full of boxes of comics, he sold it in the late 90's for 130k, its now valued at several million. maybe he should have tried to hold out on that sell.

#7 ·
i would figure there would be a lot of crappy units for one decent unit. Unless the person died why would you forfeit a locker full of valuables because of the rent. If I had $10,000 worth of valuables in there I am sure I could borrow the money to pay the rent

#8 ·
The truth is that people have no idea what they have in many cases. My dad buys stuff at yard sales. I am always amazed at some of the crap he has bought and sold. He bought some old pictures of native Americans from a yard sale for like $180.00. I told him he was off his rocker. He sold them at auction for like $11K. You need to know what you are buying, there is a very deep knowledge base needed.

#11 ·
My ex brother in law has been doing this in L.A. for years. Sells the stuff at the monthly Rose Bowl flea market. He was actually on the show and knows a few of the guys...almost all the "great finds" are staged according to him and I believe it.

#12 ·
Back years ago before they started televising this were some of the auctions held where the unit was never opened? Iirc I thought a lot of them used to auction the unit off closed and locked and then the new buyer would cut the locks off? Seems I remember hearing of some with cars in them out on the west coast but maybe it was a Snopes kind of thing.

#18 ·
i like the show and i dont know why .... i wouldnt want to dig through someone elses abandoned old shit ... pluse it all looks like junk to me ... i wouldnt know what the true value of the stuff (junk) would be ....or where to sell it

#19 ·
Been doing this for year's and yes most of the time all you get is junk.But then some times you will find a good item.Being there doing storage show's on tv now,i have seen more and more people come to the auction's.Same for regular auction's around here.More and more people show up and bid on stuff that is junk and they give way to much for it.Then few month's later they are still trying to get rid of the shit.Yes you can make some good money at doing it,but you got to know what to look for and when to quit bidding.

#25 ·
There's actually 2 of these shows on. Storage Wars and I can't remember the name of the other one but it just centers on 2 guys who are in business together and their adventures.

Also, now there is American Pickers and Auction King (I think). The auction show is based on a guy in Atlanta.

Auctions are addictive. Ask me how I know.

#29 ·
Saw the Elvis one the other night and it is pretty cool. They claimed since there was like 3000 of one copy and 3000 of the other news paper copy it could be worth up to 90k.

Yeah, sure. And when a guy finds 3000 Mickey Mantle rookie cards in a storage locker, they'll all be worth the same as they are now, too. Right. Ever heard of flooding the market? Showing it on TV just flooded the market for them and now they are worth $1 each, not $3.

#30 ·
The wife and I have been doing this for years. Most units are just typical household items and junk. Make a few bucks on Ebay and Craigslist with it. We did make $45,000 on a pair of units we bought for $247. That is a one in a million shot, no matter what the show shows.

It is hard to buy now, as the people at the auctions are now 10X what they used to be. Yesterday it took two hours to view and bid on four units that were way overpriced. Everybody there was talking about the shows. Be glad when the fad passes. At least they don't know what websites to go one to find these things, or there would be even more people. The lady at the storage place said her phone rings all day with people asking when the auctions are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.