Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I've got a good friends thats been doing it for over 15 yrs...made good money doing it.....said the show has now about Phucked it all up, everyone looking for the great find....there paying way to much for storage units.....he said the bidding gets crazy now with big jumps and buying at any cost just to get it

·
Registered
470 Posts
I've got a good friends thats been doing it for over 15 yrs...made good money doing it.....said the show has now about Phucked it all up, everyone looking for the great find....there paying way to much for storage units.....he said the bidding gets crazy now with big jumps and buying at any cost just to get it
Was going to say the same thing, I have some friends who have had a resale shop for years and always had a bunch of different stuff.
Now he says that he can not even get stuff to keep on the shelves, because within the last 6 months the number of people at the auctions has quadrupled.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The stuff in the storage lockers is interesting, but I wonder what the ratio of clunkers to great finds is? The bidder to bidder "conflicts" seem a little contrived to me. And that one guy's bitchy old lady makes me want to tell him to strap on a spine and kick her ass back to the kitchen.

·
itsjunk
2,118 Posts
i like the show, they showed an older find darrell had it was a locker full of boxes of comics, he sold it in the late 90's for 130k, its now valued at several million. maybe he should have tried to hold out on that sell.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
i would figure there would be a lot of crappy units for one decent unit. Unless the person died why would you forfeit a locker full of valuables because of the rent. If I had $10,000 worth of valuables in there I am sure I could borrow the money to pay the rent

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
i would figure there would be a lot of crappy units for one decent unit. Unless the person died why would you forfeit a locker full of valuables because of the rent. If I had $10,000 worth of valuables in there I am sure I could borrow the money to pay the rent
The truth is that people have no idea what they have in many cases. My dad buys stuff at yard sales. I am always amazed at some of the crap he has bought and sold. He bought some old pictures of native Americans from a yard sale for like $180.00. I told him he was off his rocker. He sold them at auction for like $11K. You need to know what you are buying, there is a very deep knowledge base needed.

·
The Media has an agenda!
25,768 Posts
you have to be a real smf to believe this shows premise. Reality TV for those who don't live in reality.

I keep my "gold" in a storage locker I can't afford to rent...because I ran out of room at the mansion...Wooooooo!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I had looked into it awhile back as a friend of mine has some clients that own storage facilities but seems to me you would about need to have a store front or some means of moving all the "common" stuff and would have to buy in quantities.

What does your friend do with all the "extra" stuff that is not dumpster bound?

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
My ex brother in law has been doing this in L.A. for years. Sells the stuff at the monthly Rose Bowl flea market. He was actually on the show and knows a few of the guys...almost all the "great finds" are staged according to him and I believe it.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Back years ago before they started televising this were some of the auctions held where the unit was never opened? Iirc I thought a lot of them used to auction the unit off closed and locked and then the new buyer would cut the locks off? Seems I remember hearing of some with cars in them out on the west coast but maybe it was a Snopes kind of thing.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
I LOVE THE SHOW....ITS FREE just have to register with them, i already did and have attended a few. im feeling out the diffrent areas havent bought any yet
http://www.auctionstorage.com/

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I had looked into it awhile back as a friend of mine has some clients that own storage facilities but seems to me you would about need to have a store front or some means of moving all the "common" stuff and would have to buy in quantities.

What does your friend do with all the "extra" stuff that is not dumpster bound?
Almost sells everything exclusively on e-bay....some on craigslist and facebook...he prices the non-ebay to sell quick

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
i like the show and i dont know why .... i wouldnt want to dig through someone elses abandoned old shit ... pluse it all looks like junk to me ... i wouldnt know what the true value of the stuff (junk) would be ....or where to sell it

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Been doing this for year's and yes most of the time all you get is junk.But then some times you will find a good item.Being there doing storage show's on tv now,i have seen more and more people come to the auction's.Same for regular auction's around here.More and more people show up and bid on stuff that is junk and they give way to much for it.Then few month's later they are still trying to get rid of the shit.Yes you can make some good money at doing it,but you got to know what to look for and when to quit bidding.

·
120 seconds of glory
4,116 Posts
My wife and I used to manage a storage place.
Rarely were there anything worth value left after the renter vacated. Those renters would grab the good stuff and flea.

I venture to say that over 75 % of the units those guys win on the show are packed with junk.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts