Yellow Bullet Forums banner

121 - 140 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
ginda did not catch clocking the converter correctlly to go in alll the way in and now I need to pull trans to replace trans oil pump..

the little that it ran, it did sound nice.. those are TEA heads with TEA port matched RPM II intake.

^^^^need a sound clip!

bet it sounds fantastic with great heads and those "John lobes"

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Saw on fb that you have twin GT45 turbos on it now. Have you made any passes with it?
I've only made 2 passes so far. It went [email protected] on 14 psi and [email protected] on 17 psi. The twins spool slower and my torque converter is too tight to get up on any decent amount of boost so the 60 ft times were not good. I'm going to work on the tune a little more and if that doesn't work I will have to make a torque converter change.

Here are some pics of the latest twin eBay GT45 setup

Regards,
Tony
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Platinum Member
5,683 Posts
Looks badass Tony!
I figured it might have some trouble spooling those turbos, the exh housings are pretty big.
Love the exhaust setup, are the downpipes 3.5"?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Thanks guys. I figured this setup would be a little slower responding than the S480. These turbos have 87x77 turbines with 1.05 A/R housings so a bit of lag is understandable. Drive pressure should be low though.

The downpipes are 4.0" that reduce to 3.0". I too have thought about dropping the exhaust to see how it does but that really gets away from the direction I wanted to go with the car. A torque converter or nitrous is probably a better option.

Coil bracket is stock for 86-93 Mustang. http://www.americanmuscle.com/ignition-coil-bracket-8693.html?utm_content=Restoration+-+Exterior%7CAM+Restoration&utm_campaign=79-04%20Years&utm_source=Google-pla&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D&AMID=ignition-coil-bracket-8693-GSBasicFitmentV1&year=1987
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
16,270 Posts
I think your numbers are very good now especially for what you have. The 3" exhaust is not hurting you, I run 3" all of the way back including tailpipes.

Remember this, you're on the ragged edge of the power that you can make with that shortblock. You've done a damn good job getting this far with it. Push it much more and you risk doing a lot of damage to a lot of parts. Make sure in the back of your mind what would happen if rod left that engine and you found yourself driving thru your own oil.

I bent some good aftermarket connecting rods running at a power level probably not much above yours. I was fortunate to open up the motor and find the damage before anything real bad happened.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I think your numbers are very good now especially for what you have. The 3" exhaust is not hurting you, I run 3" all of the way back including tailpipes.

Remember this, you're on the ragged edge of the power that you can make with that shortblock. You've done a damn good job getting this far with it. Push it much more and you risk doing a lot of damage to a lot of parts. Make sure in the back of your mind what would happen if rod left that engine and you found yourself driving thru your own oil.

I bent some good aftermarket connecting rods running at a power level probably not much above yours. I was fortunate to open up the motor and find the damage before anything real bad happened.
Thanks for the reply Randy. I agree that pretty much everything is at or beyond its capacity and life span is going to suffer. Driving through my own oil slick has always been a concern.

I did put some H-beam rods in it after I found some of the stock ones to be bent but that still doesn't make running 160 mph on a stock block and crank a good idea.

My new goal is to run mid-low 9's and see how long I can keep it together. Just this year I've put more miles on the car than I ever have due to it being nice and quiet. :cool:

Regards,
Tony
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
16,270 Posts
What kind of RPM are you running it to? I shift around 6500 rpm myself.

I had a R-Box intake on mine and it killed my low/mid-range and didn't really show any improvement up top to make up for the difference. I spent a lot of money and time to fit it up, I even was able to get it under my stock hood with some massaging. Unfortunately, I quickly decided it wasn't worth the loss in power down low and was noticeably bad trying to cruise, even on the highway. If was much harder to spool also. I took it off after only a few weeks and it sits waiting for me to want to maybe run 7s someday. ;)

IMO - If you want to make that car run better, I recommend you go to the long runner R top. May not be as good as my Performer RPM II in the low/mid range but you will really feel the difference and the car will have a much better average hp curve. You will also be able to run a stock hood without that hole cut out of it...:p

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
I shift around 6000 and when the boost is turned up it will go through the traps close to 6500 but its pretty much all done by 6k. I'm guessing the camshaft and cylinder heads are limiting my engine speed.

You're results with the long runner RPM II definitely make me want to try a long runner R upper. It would be great it if would improve my boost response! I'd much rather change an upper intake than a torque converter :)

I feel like your indirectly making fun of my hood :wink: but I'm ok with that because I don't really like it either! lol

Regards
Tony
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
16,270 Posts
I shift around 6000 and when the boost is turned up it will go through the traps close to 6500 but its pretty much all done by 6k. I'm guessing the camshaft and cylinder heads are limiting my engine speed.

You're results with the long runner RPM II definitely make me want to try a long runner R upper. It would be great it if would improve my boost response! I'd much rather change an upper intake than a torque converter :)

I feel like your indirectly making fun of my hood :wink: but I'm ok with that because I don't really like it either! lol

Regards
Tony
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, I'm razzing you about the hood, we both know it detracts from the rest of the "sleeper" aspects of the car.

From what you just told me about your engine, you should see a TON of difference with the long runner intake. My cam is bigger (244/242 @050", .570" lift) and my engine didn't really want or like the R-Box. You should spool noticeably better. My engine starts to spool around 3000 rpm or so. With the Box upper, it wanted to be 300-400 rpm higher to spool.

Keep this in mind. You will probably have the same HP potential (maybe more?) but you will be making more boost at lower rpms and theoretically your peak torque will probably be higher. This means more cylinder pressure. It could well be that your peak cylinder pressure at maximum torque will be higher. Make sure you have the octane and/or adjust your timing to keep from detonating. You may find that is takes 1lb more boost to make the same power as now due to the upper intake being slightly more restrictive. I don't remember off the top of my head if that is how mine worked out. I know with the R-Box upper, I had to leave at 200 rpm higher (3800 rpm) with 2-3lbs more boost (8-9lbs) to run the same 60ft as I ran with lower rpm/boost using the RPM II. That was to make up for the loss of power with the R-Box in the low rpm range.

If you are running an aftermarket ECU, the fuel will be different throughout your rpm range. Generally you will need more fuel per pulse up to around 5500-6000rpm, then slightly less above 5500rpm. If you're running VE, then it will be higher VE % numbers down low, slightly lower numbers up high.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
He has been running a MS1 v2.2. It is pretty much cave man stuff. i don't know what is more impressive...the stock bottom end or the outdated several times over ECM.

·
Registered
840 Posts
What kind of RPM are you running it to? I shift around 6500 rpm myself.

I had a R-Box intake on mine and it killed my low/mid-range and didn't really show any improvement up top to make up for the difference. I spent a lot of money and time to fit it up, I even was able to get it under my stock hood with some massaging. Unfortunately, I quickly decided it wasn't worth the loss in power down low and was noticeably bad trying to cruise, even on the highway. If was much harder to spool also. I took it off after only a few weeks and it sits waiting for me to want to maybe run 7s someday. ;)

IMO - If you want to make that car run better, I recommend you go to the long runner R top. May not be as good as my Performer RPM II in the low/mid range but you will really feel the difference and the car will have a much better average hp curve. You will also be able to run a stock hood without that hole cut out of it...:p
Are u talking about this upper randy?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-515u1105/overview/

·
Registered
16,270 Posts
121 - 140 of 331 Posts