Yellow Bullet Forums banner

321 - 331 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #321 (Edited)
Went to the track Friday night. Still chasing that 8.9x tailpipe pass! This is however a new best for the Rev9 7268 turbos, and also a new best for the car on a low prep Friday night street car event. Driven to and from track 30 miles each way.

Fuel pumps are maxed so it will take better track prep or a pump upgrade before I can get back in the 8's. Stay tuned!

1st pass the timers were not working

2nd pass

3rd pass

4th pass was aborted, spun really bad on the launch

-Tony

·
Registered
481 Posts
Nice passes! Thanks for the update

·
Registered
16,266 Posts
Tony - I bet your car would be faster using an Edelbrock RPM II intake (or the similar long runner TFS). With a 3.25 rear gear, my car actually runs faster with the RPM II intake (even leaving at a higher rpm than you leave at) shifting at 6500-6800rpm. With a 3.50 gear, the TFS box is a little faster shifting at 6800-7000rpm, but only when the boost is above 20lbs. Otherwise the rpm drop between gears is too much and kills the power with the BOX.

For all around driving I prefer the RPM II by a long shot but I run the BOX with the 3.50 gear as a compromise to take some stress away from the AODE planetaries.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
What are you thinking you might try next?
If I stick with this engine combo it will probably end up being a S400 based single.

Tony - I bet your car would be faster using an Edelbrock RPM II intake (or the similar long runner TFS). With a 3.25 rear gear, my car actually runs faster with the RPM II intake (even leaving at a higher rpm than you leave at) shifting at 6500-6800rpm. With a 3.50 gear, the TFS box is a little faster shifting at 6800-7000rpm, but only when the boost is above 20lbs. Otherwise the rpm drop between gears is too much and kills the power with the BOX.

For all around driving I prefer the RPM II by a long shot but I run the BOX with the 3.50 gear as a compromise to take some stress away from the AODE planetaries.
Randy, I know we've discussed it before and I 100% agree that the long runner variants would work better for the rest of my combo. I will say that the old single S400 still killed these last 2 twin combos I had in terms of boost response and front half performance.

I still want to try a long runner upper, but until I find a virgin 78-82 hood I'm married to this box and abortion I call a hood ;)

-Tony

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tony do you think these turbos would work better on a little bigger motor? I am going to put two of the .96ar units on a 396ci ford fe in my 1st gen rx7.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry that was a stupid question. I guess i was wondering if you thought the twins would have a higher level of performance over a big single if you raised the compression and or cubic inches. I know that nothing has come close to the s480 but do the twins have more potential if you increase the motor.

321 - 331 of 331 Posts