Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anybody is running a stock bottom 406 or if you have. How long did it last and how much power. I have one with canfield 195 heads and comp xe294 hydraulic cam. Runs 7.0's in th 1/8th in 3300 lbs car

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
My first 406 was done with semi light forged pistons, stock narrow beam 350 rods (beamed) and with a stock index ground cast GM crank. Used SFI harmonic/flywheel (400) so a bunch of weight was taken out of the crank to balance. Ran that a year, sometimes to a 7200 shift point. Factory 4 bolt block. Off season, pulled some main caps and the main bearings saw some trauma due to crank whipping. Polished the crank, new bearings, lowered shift point to low 6000 range. Off season, pulled main caps, bearings looked good, but wanted to turn it up the following year, so I index ground another GM 400 crank and internally balanced it (3 slugs per end) as well as changing harmonic/flywheel. Also changed rods to Scat capscrew rods (was nervous about the stock rods, unfounded really) Ran the car that season (11.3's locally, ran a 10.99 at a sea level track, 3600# Camaro) then year end inspection. Bearings mint (6500+ shifts) but I decided to mag the crank. Nothing like getting only one season out of a crank stuffed with mallory, welded into place, and finding cracks on the underside of all the rod pins. :evil: Engine made 600 corrected on the engine dyno. I sold that engine (shortblock) to a fellow racer's son, as well as a new forged Scat crank, still runs today.

Since you have a relatively small investment in your engine, may as well run it until it blows or needs attention, then determine if it's worth rebuilding. If I can offer any advice, keep the rev's down as much as possible.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts