Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how much drag the stock rear spoiler has on 2nd gen cars? Mine currently has one and wondering if I would see a gain in et/mph by removing it. Is it worth the hassle? Anyone test this?

·
T/S 368E
33,386 Posts

Ran mine for years without one. As I got faster and faster I added the small stock unit on my '70.
At about 140-145 mph it got a little loose once in awhile, it sure seemed to help.
It sure worked when I hit 159+ I can't imagine trying it without something???

Be careful if you take it off and try running fast!!!

·
T/S 368E
33,386 Posts

No way I could do that, it was definitely getting loose at 140+ and 145+ was no fun!!!
Maybe because a '70 RS is a frigging box in front!!!!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts

No way I could do that, it was definitely getting loose at 140+ and 145+ was no fun!!!
Maybe because a '70 RS is a frigging box in front!!!!

I was going to say a lot will have to do with the cars attitude going down track.[nose up and so on]

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
If you really want to know if it's doing anything, it's pretty straight forward if you have shock sensors on the car. If you know your rear spring rate, you can log the amount of shock travel. Once you know the amount of travel & spring rate it's easy to calculate the pounds of downforce. Then when you make wing or wicker adjustments, it's easy to see how it affected the car. On our car aero is significant so it doesn't take much to see differences.

·
T/S 368E
33,386 Posts

No idea about BEC, but mine is just a car with cage and ladder bars.
Definitely no recorder and sensors on anything, just my old waste money, fuel and slicks toy.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No data recorder here either.
Car runs 155-160mph so I will see what it does without it. Mine has a big rear spoiler that really sticks up in the air (I have a Firebird that has a TransAm style spoiler on it). I will find out what it does in a couple weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts