Drivetrain:
2.97 Ratio 6-speed
DSS Carbon driveshaft
4.10 gears

Just wanted to share my recent build.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Lotta power left there to be had,junk the high ram.Plant some flowers in it.We went to lo ram on ours and are 1000 rpm higher than your peak.Considerbly higher power also.We did put better rod bolts in.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Op,What I like about your build is how easy you made over 700 hp.Guys argue all time about 220-245 afr heads/are they to big ,blah blah.When stock bottom end 427 with 280cc plus heads great power at same rpm.We dont even have as good as heads as you imo but with some attention to them and a low ram went quite a bit above 800 hp.Its very easy to take 6.2 stuff and make 750 hp with factory ls3 junk.Just dont use those junk hi rams!!! Went [email protected] 149.88 last wknd.3130 lb chevelle.Be in 8s this wknd

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
That's why it's my Favorite engine.....15 to 12 reasons & degrees for heads from the Factory. Also the Reason i sold a perfectly good 383 E-tech head sbc.
LSX "Body Billboard Here".
You can't name any other Factory SB and make this kinda hp and then call it streetable...NA and being reliable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lotta power left there to be had,junk the high ram.Plant some flowers in it.We went to lo ram on ours and are 1000 rpm higher than your peak.Considerbly higher power also.We did put better rod bolts in.
I've noticed the Hi Ram seems to tap out around 7300rpm on larger CI engines. Even with large camshafts. 1000rpm extra would be nuts. Do you run LS7 heads? Using adapters? I have thought about making the switch and use this ShearFab lid on it. I just don't know how the adapters line up.

Op,What I like about your build is how easy you made over 700 hp.Guys argue all time about 220-245 afr heads/are they to big ,blah blah.When stock bottom end 427 with 280cc plus heads great power at same rpm.We dont even have as good as heads as you imo but with some attention to them and a low ram went quite a bit above 800 hp.Its very easy to take 6.2 stuff and make 750 hp with factory ls3 junk.Just dont use those junk hi rams!!! Went [email protected] 149.88 last wknd.3130 lb chevelle.Be in 8s this wknd
149mph is cooking! My car should be in the 3075lb range with me in it.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I've noticed the Hi Ram seems to tap out around 7300rpm on larger CI engines. Even with large camshafts. 1000rpm extra would be nuts. Do you run LS7 heads? Using adapters? I have thought about making the switch and use this ShearFab lid on it. I just don't know how the adapters line up.

149mph is cooking! My car should be in the 3075lb range with me in it.
We made our own adapters,but same principle.Hi ram has wrong runner length and taper.We cut one up once and essentially made a low ram before they were out.

Reactions: jayyyw

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We made our own adapters,but same principle.Hi ram has wrong runner length and taper.We cut one up once and essentially made a low ram before they were out.
Okay, good to know. I think I will try it.

BTW, these are wheel HP numbers, not crank. Not sure if that was obvious or not.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
👆
I'm not surprised, Chris Frank has cut one down but no longer does so. Time and $$$ isnt worth it and he sells 5k intakes

Best question I've seen in a while with:
Do you run LS7 heads? Using adapters? I have thought about it.. in reference to the Ls3 low ram. I've got that same problem and the adapters seem to be the easiest way out. Fuck it add Weld to the som bitch if need be.

I've noticed the Hi Ram seems to tap out around 7300rpm on larger CI engines. Even with large camshafts. 1000rpm extra would be nuts
7500 is the general peak with porting.
Darin Mogan
CID goes to 8k.
GPI testing also
I figure your compression is 13.2+

efficiency of 🌽 fuel and using higher compression.

If your talking about a lid? It's a gamble Shear might can't help or may help 🤷‍♂️ ....Look at what and how the New CID tunnel ram lid looks like. Single 4500 may or would be you best option with a lid. Finding a 4500 to 4150 holley Lid is now pretty much obsolete. Last time we talked about it. Turboll has talked about the Holley high ram and how the low ram is liked more.

Basics of what's on the table...
Compression and Corn is a Mutha fucker..
Honestly thinking at 52cc your closer to 14.1 than 13.2

Reactions: Outlaw Bill

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
👆
I'm not surprised, Chris Frank has cut one down but no longer does so. Time and $$$ isnt worth it and he sells 5k intakes

Best question I've seen in a while with:
Do you run LS7 heads? Using adapters? I have thought about it.. in reference to the Ls3 low ram. I've got that same problem and the adapters seem to be the easiest way out. Fuck it add Weld to the som bitch if need be.

I figure your compression is 13.2+

efficiency of 🌽 fuel and using higher compression.

If your talking about a lid? It's a gamble Shear might can't help or may help 🤷‍♂️ ....Look at what and how the New CID tunnel ram lid looks like. Single 4500 may or would be you best option with a lid. Finding a 4500 to 4150 holley Lid is now pretty much obsolete. Last time we talked about it. Turboll has talked about the Holley high ram and how the low ram is liked more.

Basics of what's on the table...
Compression and Corn is a Mutha fucker..
Honestly thinking at 52cc your closer to 14.1 than 13.2

Compression is 13.7-13.9 depending on how much the pistons stick out of the hole. I didn't measure that.

I wouldn't mind trying out a 4500. Shear makes a nice billet piece but the mounting is setup backwards.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the NA 700 Club!

A few observations...what affect did the custom lid have? Did you try a 102 or 103mm TB first? Strange that with your HUGE cam and higher LSA that your power curve seems to drop prematurely for a High Ram.

Here was my SBE LS7 testing a box stock High Ram with a 102mm TB, LSx heads w/59.2 cc chambers, 258/273 cam w/112+3.5 LSA , 92 Octane Pump gas with a splash or TORCO, 1-7/8 to 2" to 2-1/8" triple stepped true equal length headers with 4" collectors, 4" head pipes/3-1/2" tailpipes with 4.11 12 bolt rear in my '88 Monte SS....you'll note that the power peak @ ~7700 RPM and is almost table top flat up there! No vacuum pump or E85.
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Hey Jayyyw, who spec'd the cam and why all the LSA and built in 6* of advance?? IMHO that is a big part of why it didn't make more peak power and carry higher rpm. Maybe they did it to crutch exhaust port reversion as well as valve to piston clearance. I think it took away from its true potential not that 700+ hp is really anything to bitch about. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Would be interesting to see how it did with a tighter LSA but don't see a problem with 109 ICL
Well I would not either but when you consider ALL the values it looks weird and is advanced 6* even if installed on the "straight up marks" so it takes a good amount of top end away from the engine's potential. Like I said, it looks like a crutch for another problem, probably V to P clearance on the exhaust valve since it's SBE. Also is the .670" lift rated on standard LS rockers(1.7) or the LS7 rockers which are 1.8 ratio??

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Jayyyw, who spec'd the cam and why all the LSA and built in 6* of advance?? IMHO that is a big part of why it didn't make more peak power and carry higher rpm. Maybe they did it to crutch exhaust port reversion as well as valve to piston clearance. I think it took away from its true potential not that 700+ hp is really anything to bitch about. Just my $0.02
Well I would not either but when you consider ALL the values it looks weird and is advanced 6* even if installed on the "straight up marks" so it takes a good amount of top end away from the engine's potential. Like I said, it looks like a crutch for another problem, probably V to P clearance on the exhaust valve since it's SBE. Also is the .670" lift rated on standard LS rockers(1.7) or the LS7 rockers which are 1.8 ratio??
It was spec'd by High Performance Connection out in Houston Tx area. It wasn't spec'd for my exact combination but my setup is very close to the engine it was spec'd for, I was told.

.670" on a 1.8 ratio.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats and welcome to the NA 700 Club!

A few observations...what affect did the custom lid have? Did you try a 102 or 103mm TB first? Strange that with your HUGE cam and higher LSA that your power curve seems to drop prematurely for a High Ram.

Here was my SBE LS7 testing a box stock High Ram with a 102mm TB, LSx heads w/59.2 cc chambers, 258/273 cam w/112+3.5 LSA , 92 Octane Pump gas with a splash or TORCO, 1-7/8 to 2" to 2-1/8" triple stepped true equal length headers with 4" collectors, 4" head pipes/3-1/2" tailpipes with 4.11 12 bolt rear in my '88 Monte SS....you'll note that the power peak @ ~7700 RPM and is almost table top flat up there! No vacuum pump or E85.
I don't have any before/after with the lid or different size TBs. This is a totally new combination.

I know someone that tested it VS a different sheet metal lid that picked up power over the stock lid. Roughly 10whp in the upper RPMs and a little more in the mid-range area.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
tightening the 115 LSA/109 ICL would only bring Tq earlier as well as make the peak come in earlier... if left at 115 the cam would have happily revved to 8500 but the Tq peak would be higher also. What's seen here is a Engine meant for the Street on Corn and a cam that would go to 8500 but the 109 ICL brings that rpm down but it makes the power like expected. It's a bigger cam than the Avg street cam but being a Street car it's tone down to 8k and below.....besides having a 52cc chamber. 👈 What Turboll said on P to V...

Classic case of Hp meant for street use...
Jayy has more compression than John B @ 12.7 that's how the difference of hp is made similar. HR vs SR. 20 hp either way now if one can Do both that's Excellance, because Good cylinder fill & it'll get itself out.... Compression is free if your willing to run corn.

402 of Speedtrigger S/R @ 11.5 comp made the same Hp as a 13.5 comp HR 418 of Flyin.
Very similar cams...look at Jay's or John's cam it's not much of a difference 262 H/R 258 S/R...Jay has more rpm operating room and more Comp... cancelation of a Solid roller cam, add 15-20 hp to the 700rwhp if used 🤐

Reactions: jayyyw

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Anything Stick out like a sore thumb.... I can't tell the difference. Oh a little bigger bore...
🤣😂

1 - 20 of 20 Posts