Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whos running a stock A9L on a turbo Fox body?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
stock box with stock tune in it and no pms on it?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stock box with stock tune in it and no pms on it?
yep...kinda ol school...but works on my rig
was curious if others had done it
drive ability is good...car idles good & transition into boost
is good...matching MAF & 42# injectors

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Very cool.

I have an A9L with a PMS 3 on it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have tuned a lot of turbo Fox mustangs with OE PCMs, A9L, A9P, A9S, A3M1 etc, All of them made between 400 rwhp to 800 rwhp.
Tuning with the PMS never gave me the results that I was looking for especially with big injectors.
I have always made sure the MAF is setup for Blow thru with the Blow off valve before the intercooler, so it wont disrupt the airflow across the MAF. Using a calibrated MAF for the configuration and size of injectors will help streamline the quality of the tune. Also, an adjustable Fuel regulator set up on a 1:1 boost to fuel psi will help give the customer a little bit of tune ability when racing. Finally I create a tune with Diablosport's CMR software, then burn a chip. After the PCM service port is sanded & cleaned, then the chip can be installed and tested. After a bit of tweaking the custom tune, usually I can provide an OE like drivability while maximizing the power and safety. Custom tuned chips are way better route to go based on my experiences.:)

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
yep...kinda ol school...but works on my rig
was curious if others had done it
drive ability is good...car idles good & transition into boost
is good...matching MAF & 42# injectors
A9L, PMS III, twin turbo 302 (3" stroke), 238/242/114 cam,
Pro-M 360* welded/fabricated MAF cal'd for 50# with 48# [email protected] base
Two converters, Pacesetter X-pipe, MAC Flowpath mufflers and tailpipes.
...car also idles good and still breaking the motor in.
here is how it sounds at idle:

Still twiddling with the startup/idle tune

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my setup is similar...twin Garrets custom CamMotion turbo cam..42s...76mm C&L maf
GT 40 steel heads ported...Comp bee hive springs...1.7 Crane roller rockers...Eddy efi intake ported etc
pretty common stuff..on a stock bottom end...I had to notch the pistons & of course MLS & studs
you know all the fuel stuff..so Ill spare ya..woke up nicely when I installed the Dynomax mufflers
my car sounds similar too

·
Registered
49,841 Posts
for a bullshit stock motor with a small single turbo deal, its ok, but once you start wanting real power, 347ci with a big turbo, ditch that piece of shit.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I think he's referring to how cranky many of the A9's are getting

nowadays. Its because they just about all need new electrolytic

capacitors installed in them by now. I'm sure alot of the PMS boxes

do too. See the modern capacitors dont last as long as the old ones

did because they use to have some PCB's in the recipe that you can

no longer use in modern manufacturing, so the caps dont last as long

as they used to. The ones made long time ago were more toxic, but

were tougher and lasted longer. I've tested caps from a device made

in 1983 that tested as new, but today you are lucky to get 5-8 years

out of an electrolytic before its suspect. They get leaky and cause

a host of ghost problems and sporadic behavior in modern electronics.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
interesting...thanks for posting this...I would have thought most capacitors in circuits would last
could these old computers be refurbished?...my one buddy is an electronics engineer..robotics
my other buddy..repairs aviation equipment...
re & re capacitors would be a no brainer for these guys

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Be carefull with boost on a factory A9L precessor with no "chip". If you have ever data logged one, you would understand why I say that. There are several things you need to change on them in order to avoid hitting the max airflow and load limits. When they reach these limits, they " lock up" and can go lean. Not to mention timing is nowhere near optimal for a turbo. I used to run a stock one and thought I was getting it done.
Yeah, you can put new caps in them. Their pretty easy to work on as its not all micro packed in there.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
yes, there is only a few of them in there.

what needs tweaked when you do is one of the values.

the voltage value. Go up to a 25V rating and also make sure

you get the 115*C versions, NOT 85*C temp values.

Also, Panasonic electrolytics FTW! They are about the best.

·
Registered
49,841 Posts
I think he's referring to how cranky many of the A9's are getting

nowadays. Its because they just about all need new electrolytic

capacitors installed in them by now. I'm sure alot of the PMS boxes

do too. See the modern capacitors dont last as long as the old ones

did because they use to have some PCB's in the recipe that you can

no longer use in modern manufacturing, so the caps dont last as long

as they used to. The ones made long time ago were more toxic, but

were tougher and lasted longer. I've tested caps from a device made

in 1983 that tested as new, but today you are lucky to get 5-8 years

out of an electrolytic before its suspect. They get leaky and cause

a host of ghost problems and sporadic behavior in modern electronics.
to be completely honest, the entie design of ford software is a cluster fuck, and its not really intened for forced application use, and by the time you add all the acessories you need, boost control, 2 step, ignition upgrades etc and the list goes on, you could have bought a good after market system that met the needs of the engine.

but for a mild combo shooting for like 10's thats a test and tune or street car that isn;t trying to be competitive consitent and fast, a A9L makes sense, but it isn't optimal by any stretch.But that hardware is dying, phiscally and will soon become unserviceable.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
and flash forward to right now, if I could load a stock a9 program data along with my PMS changes

to become one interpolated code set, id be building my megasquirt right now and burning that code

into that wonderful box that plugs right into a stock harness. But yeah, I think the OP is talking

street car and not all out competition.. Gotta remember there is both on this board. Even me, I decided

to do a street car only and a race car separate. See my sig. I'm not putting an A9 anything in the race car.

Probably an iDash though! Will say it took long enough to catch up to that Ford programming.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Im in the same boat here. Im building stack 351w, single turbo t-4, custom cam and good internals. Its only a street car but will see some track time like most street cars do. I have been wondering what to use on it too. I have had an SCT chip on older setups and they work ok but once they burn the chip that`s it, You cant go in and change or tweak anything. I hate being limited like that. Now I can take it back and have it done, At a price of $300. SO what do you you guys think is a good system to put in it or should I just stay with the A9L and SCT chip?

Thank

1 - 18 of 18 Posts